Thread: New Design

Master Untangler

Default New Design

We are thinking about adding another Untangle box to our network as a core router. Our current Untangle does both filtering and a good majority of our routing. I would like to implement a 2nd Untangle before the 1st Untangle, in order to provide routing, DHCP and captive portal.

Lan -> 2nd-Untangle -> 1st-Untangle -> Internet

I am thinking that all the traffic ariving to the 1st-Untangle will have the IP of the external interface of the 2nd-Untangle, causing issues with filtering and reports. I appreciate everyone's input!

We are doing this to reduce the amount of traffic on the first Untangle to allow it to concentrate on filtering instead of routing within our network. I know there are better devices for situations like this, but I like the idea of sticking with Untangle as most of the guys in the department know how to administer it.
    Last edited by AdamB; 04-16-2013 at 07:34 AM.

Master Untangler

Never-mind, tested this out myself, not going to work.

Untangle Ninja

ought to work fine, just turn off NAT on the new "2nd Untangle" (uncheck "Is WAN Interface" on the one that connects to "1st Untangle"). Then just add needed static route(s) to "1st Untangle" so that it knows that any LAN subnets are reached via the "2nd Untangle".

Why not just let the existing untangle handle both jobs?
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    Why not just let the existing untangle handle both jobs?
    Just to large of a LAN. I would prefer to have one doing our internal routing and one doing the scanning.