Untangler

Default Tracert DNS routing Help

Hoping someone can give me a lesson on dns, tracert and routing.

I am having an issue with outlook and hosted exchange behind a untangle, I am 99% positive that this is not an untangle problem but value the advice I get in these forums so hoping someone can help me.

Problem: getting disconnected to my hosted email within outlook on a fairly regular basis.

In talking to the hosted email provided they had me run some tracert tests and according to them it takes too my hops which is probably causing the issue, they also noticed that it hoped from a public ip to a private and back to public. ( I think the public-private-public hop was within my isp)

I changed dns servers on the local machine to make sure that it was using the dns I wanted but tracert still takes the same path no matter what dns I give it. So here is where my confusion begins...I swore that changing the dns would cause it to take a different route.. Does DNS only lookup the record and resolve the name to ip and then it's on my ISP to make the route? or is something else happening? Please someone enlighten me....

Thanks!

Tracert (at begin) is managed by the routing table in default gateway of your border device (modem, cpe) and then by the routing table in your ISP
    Changing dns resolver (if both work well) must return the same ip and nothing to do with tracert.
    In the advanced configuration tab of Outlook you can up the time out limit. Also can change from IMAP to POP3 , or from POP3 to IMAP.
    Also outlook said some code error 08xblahblah, google it.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Untangler

Thanks. I will check out the advanced stuff in outlook, don't get an error though. After I typed out my post it kinda dawned on me that it was the routing tables that controlled the route. Thanks for the reply!!