Untangler

Default Bypass Rule Question

Hi,

Running in Untangle in Routing mode, External interface is PPPoE to VDSL modem. Internal network, 1 subnet 192.168.10.XXX

Running a BitTorrent client on one machine (192.168.10.50), and setup a couple of bypass rules for the traffic. Below are the screenshots for the rules I have setup, and then one showing the session viewer.

So, my question, why is some of the traffic Bypassed, and some is not ? (can't see why the non-bypassic traffic fails to match on either of the rules I have setup)

Thanks.

Talking Welcome

...to Untangle, and the Forums!

There is something that looks backwards about the logs to me, but I am not familiar with bittorrent behaviour.

The second rule references destination port and source address. Eh?

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    ...to Untangle, and the Forums!

There is something that looks backwards about the logs to me, but I am not familiar with bittorrent behaviour.

The second rule references destination port and source address. Eh?
    Ok, The the first rule is for incoming traffic going to port 32128 on 192.168.10.50. This is the port I have my BitTorrent client listining on. This port is not set as a standard, but can if fact be anything between 1024 and 65534. Thus when my BitTorrent is trying to initiate a connection with a remote client i have the second rule which catches anyting originating from 192.168.10.50 with a destination port range of 1024-65534. Yes, this may hit on other stuff apart from the Torrent traffic, but this is the only way I can see to get this to work,

In the log, I can see examples of both rules bypassing the traffic, but I can also see ones that should hit, but dont get bypassed...

Bypass rules only apply to new sessions. Is it possible that some of the sessions were existing when the rule was saved?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Bypass rules only apply to new sessions. Is it possible that some of the sessions were existing when the rule was saved?
    Hi,

Yes, thought of that one already, and made sure there was no traffic of this kind before starting up the torrent client and initiating a download.....

Anyone else...?

Cheers.
    Phil.

Untangler

Anyone....?

It might not hurt to call support and request a ticket be opened.