Master Untangler

Default Internet Goes Down Every Day - Not sure what else to try

Weíve got a really strange problem with our own in-house broadband connection. Iíve been fighting it for the last few weeks without any real success. Would appreciate the opinion of fellow forum members on this.

The problem is as follows:-

Every day we lose internet connectivity and we canít access websites. This occurs first thing in the morning. Iíve received reports that websites cannot be accessed at around 7.30AM when thereís only been one or two staff members in the building.

Restarting the router brings the connection back online.

There is one key point that I need to mention: When the problem occurs we can ALWAYS access the website of the company who supplies our main line of business financial application (we are an accountancy firm for whom I am the IT manager). This is always uncached.

Other than their website we canít access any other websites until weíve restarted the router.

Iíve reached out to the IT support manager of the line of business software to find out if heís seen this before.

There are a few other points I should mention:-

- When the problem occurs we can ping websites by name and IP address.

- When the problem occurs weíre still unable to access websites even if we just have a laptop connected into the router and nothing else. Until we restart the router we can only access our software supplierís website.

- We've tried various different known working routers - different makes/models and had the same problem.

- Our ISP - BT have performed many line tests all of which have come back as ok. They have also reset the exchange hardware.

- I've tried disabling the Untangle Attack Blocker - this made no difference.

My gut feeling is that this has to be something to do with the line of business application somewhere along the line - I can't figure out though why we can access their site as if there isn't a problem yet can't access any other sites.

Appreciate any opinions or suggestions on this.

In terms of our setup, it goes like this:

Internet
    |
    ISP Router
    |
    Untangle
    |
    Lan Switch - Servers
    |
    Workstations

Cheers.

Hi,

Start here:
    http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/A_Reboot_Fixed_It

I know you're talking about rebooting your router, but the same logic applies.
    If you want to fix it - stop rebooting and troubleshoot!

Then here:
    http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/The_Internet_is_Down

From there it is usually pretty easy.

Its also really unclear which "router" you're talking about. Untangle? Your ISP router?
    I would run those internet tests very very carefully.
    You need to figure *exactly* what the issue is.

If you can ping external sites you are online. Does DNS work? Does TCP work? Do all TCP ports work? Does UDP work? etc etc.
    Last edited by dmorris; 10-04-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Just a shot in the dark.....because you just mentioned a lot of variables that come into play.......but as dmorris mentioned....that if you are able to ping external sites then you are online.

1) "When the problem occurs we can ping websites by name and IP address." - Make sure your browser is not going through a proxy

2) "When the problem occurs we’re still unable to access websites even if we just have a laptop connected into the router and nothing else. Until we restart the router we can only access our software supplier’s website." - Again Make sure the laptop is not setup to use a proxy

"We've tried various different known working routers - different makes/models and had the same problem." - What do you mean you have tried multiple routers?? Are you using Untangle in Bridge mode or Router Mode?? I am confused by your network chart

is it like this

Internet <----- IS THIS YOUR MODEM??
    |
    ISP Router
    |
    Untangle (If the above answer to my question is yes.....then I would assume you are using untangle in Bridge mode)
    |
    Switch
    |
    Workstations

I have started having this same issue since I applied the last update, 9.4.2 but I am not able to reach any systems on the internal network. Cannot connect to the Untangle server from the network, have to physically go to the console and reboot the Untangle server. Due to time constraints I have not had a chance to troubleshoot or call support yet, have to get the server back online as fast as possible to get the network back up since it is doing the DHCP, DNS, etc. Plan on digging through the logs as soon as I can to try to diagnose but since it takes everything down I do not have time to work with support to troubleshoot. Planning on upgrading to 10 next weekend so might not spend too much time on this issue.
    Karl Hart
    www.cyberconsecurity.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    I have started having this same issue since I applied the last update, 9.4.2 but I am not able to reach any systems on the internal network. Cannot connect to the Untangle server from the network, have to physically go to the console and reboot the Untangle server. Due to time constraints I have not had a chance to troubleshoot or call support yet, have to get the server back online as fast as possible to get the network back up since it is doing the DHCP, DNS, etc. Plan on digging through the logs as soon as I can to try to diagnose but since it takes everything down I do not have time to work with support to troubleshoot. Planning on upgrading to 10 next weekend so might not spend too much time on this issue.
    Hitman - You have been experiencing the exact same problem?? I.e. you can't access external websites from the internal network?
    Last edited by BadBoyHouse; 10-07-2013 at 04:20 AM.