Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by jacko View Post
    Please explain to me why I need to bring my whole VPN down to add a port forward or do a dhcp assigment?
    Because if you change your networking settings (under services) this impacts the OpenVPN config which hosts blockpages on those ports. So OpenVPN must be reconfigured when you change network settings. Luckily clients reconnect automatically within a few seconds.
    Also since dhcp is now done per interface, the dhcp config is linked to the interface config.

While these settings and services may seem like independent services to you, they are intimately linked and Untangle cleans up the dirty business of getting them all to work together on the same box. Our goal #1 is to have things "just work." Having settings save faster is a lower priority. Having settings that save even faster but incorrectly is even worse.

Like I said, even on slow boxes it takes only 3-4 seconds to save setting and fully restart the stack.
    Traffic then resumes uninterrupted. If you have bridges or dynamic interfaces, or IPv6 improperly configured - it takes longer.

While it would be nice for it to be faster, our priority is on correctness.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Thanks for the explanation. But I will try to be as clear as possible.

Untangle 9: butterflies and unicorn everywhere.
    Untangle 10: vpn down for at least a minute on a dhcp assignment or port forward

It just not usable anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jacko View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. But I will try to be as clear as possible.

Untangle 9: butterflies and unicorn everywhere.
    Untangle 10: vpn down for at least a minute on a dhcp assignment or port forward

It just not usable anymore.
    And what Dirk is trying to tell you is that it really shouldn't be.

When we make a change in our Untangle in the office, the VPN is disconnected for literally 3-5 seconds.

I'd suggest opening a ticket with Untangle support so that we can take a look at what's going on if you have more than 15 seconds of down time.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

I am all for things working, less phone calls at 3am in the morning!

I did notice today when i added a new WAN interface, i was pinging out to OpenDNS servers and local to the server while i did it, while the restart of the service was fast, pinging out to an IP came back up only missing 3 ping requests so right in the 3-5 seconds time frame, however DNS resolution took much longer, almost 40 seconds.

I assume this is more so how your LAN DNS servers, or even how fast your ISP handles DNS..? I have my UT set to use primary DNS as my ISP and the 2nd DNS as my LAN DNS server since i use directory connector.

Now on the note of OpenVPN and static IP's how does it work, is it reserving IP's per client or will a client get a new IP every time they connect as i was informed openvpn already uses static assignments, if this is the case perhaps include that information in the release notes so then people won't get up in arms thinking something is gone and changed.

You cant get angry with people because a change was made and no one informed about it in a public manner.

I have not had a chance to test this myself yet from home to see if i get the same IP every time.
    Last edited by Mathiau; 02-05-2014 at 02:52 PM.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Untanglit

OpenVPN typically keeps client IP assignments in a text file (typically /etc/openvpn/ipp.txt, but not sure how is it in Untangle), so they're pretty persistent across sessions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123