Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Every single change in the network config brings down Untangle

Hi,

Since untangle version 10, every single changes in the network section brings the whole server networking services down. Is there a reason for that? It was not doing this before.

Each single modification to the dhcp leases requires a carefully planned network outage. I don't get it. Was really easy to do in UT9.

Yes, it restarts networking when you change settings.

Yes, it did the same thing in 9.x and all before that (and it was actually about 12 seconds slower).
    The only difference is that it did not show you a progress bar while it did it.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

I beg to differ. We have half of our servers at 9 and the other half at 10. When we change a DHCP entry in 9, the connection doesn't drop. A simple DHCP assignment in 10 brings down the whole network. It's a downgrade for us.

Banned

I have noticed this on version 10 just about any change will bring down the network service.

The bypass traffic does not seem as effected.
    I think under the old version DHCP was not under the network card interface.

I think maybe any setting in that part of the interface restart it.
    Last edited by holynger; 01-27-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Untanglit

Yes which is really REALLY stupid since we now have to schedule maintenance downtime to add a simple DHCP assignment.

Untangle Ninja

I am running 9.4.1 and I can say that if we add a Alias or something under a Interface it will reset all sessions so the behavior is old.

A nice feature would be to have a way to schedule when the new config should be taken to effect.

Untanglit

I can understand modification to interfaces. But I'm talking about a DHCP service that should be able to be restarted or reloaded without bringing down the network. It was working well before 10.

DHCP changes didn't bring down networking before, now that they are on the interfaces page though... they do.

I'm not really understanding why you "have to schedule downtime" because the outage can be measured in seconds. What is breaking?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

The time it takes to restart networking depends on several major factors.

* The number of independent bridges times 20 seconds. (In 9.x it was the number of bridges times 30 seconds)
    * Your IPv6 configuration. If you don't have IPv6 advertisements, don't set IPv6 to "Auto." it will just make things much slower.
    * Use static addresses instead of dynamic. DHCP takes time and usually takes 10 seconds or longer depending on the DHCP server.
    * Disable unused interfaces.

It won't reset sessions, it just reinitializes the network during that time. The uvm is uneffected and sessions are still in the session table and will continue right where they left off.
    Last edited by dmorris; 02-03-2014 at 02:39 PM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Hope i can post this, as there were changes made that were not there before in some area's. I have no problems scheduling down times, but sometimes something has to be done right away and now 30-40 people will be dropped for internet from 10-15 seconds.. not good when we have live chats from customers and such running. I do have 1 DHCP link, the other 2 are Static and my UT box is very very beefy system (in sig)

From me:
    I created a new port forward rule and once I saved it, it took about 30-35 seconds to create the rule, while it did that, it dropped internet completely for everyone.
    I do not recall this behavior in 9.4 that a port forward resets the network entirely, also that it took so long…
    Matthew.

UT Support

Hello Matthew,
    Yes, saving any network setting requires the entire networkingstack to be reset. We had some rather complicated scripts in there before thattried to react to all the changes a user could make gracefully, butunfortunately, it made too many mistakes.
    In 10.0 we've completely rewritten the networking stack forhigher performance and simplicity. Unfortunately, that means we need to take amore drastic approach to changes on the network configuration.
    Last edited by Mathiau; 01-30-2014 at 05:01 PM.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast