Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

fqdn name will aways work first before NetBIOS name with out wins will not work. I take it you still have some windows xp and win2003 server in there some where..

cause in the dns name resolver.. it will hit dns first before the windows server name..

unless you have dhcp on from untangle for the device then dns will be hit first fqdms then the NetBIOS name that apprears in the dhcp server server on untangle..

ether one will be hit fist.. since all request go back to the untangle router first for resolution. NetBIOS on dhcp.. or fqdns name..

I think it would hit the NetBIOS first. not sure. Though..
    try a dhcp server that is windows based it will hit NetBIOS fist before trying fqdns. name..

untangle does not seem to support NetBIOS naming unless you put it in static dhcp address name resolution or a dns entry in the table for dns..

or let the client a pc get get the dhcp address from untangle.
    that is verson 10. version 9 handles it different.

what version of untangle you using?

Untangler

@ holynger

Untangle 10 is what I am running.

Just to be clear, with the help I got from this thread (using FQDN worked out of the box; properly configuring OpenVPN settings in Untangle to push the internal server IP as DNS server and the proper domain suffix), it is now working fully as expected. Typing in "\\[machinename]" gets me to any machine I want on the remote network.

"Windows browsing" still does not work, but I would not expect it to.

Untanglit

This could be of some help if you'd like to get browsing working (as already mentioned briefly in previous posts):

1. Install samba on a Linux server and configure it as a WINS server (if you don't have a Windows Server doing this).
    2. Push the WINS address of the Samba/Windows Server through the OpenVPN DNS push options:
    push ‘dhcp-option WINS W.X.Y.Z’

WINS is supposed to solve problematic broadcast networks elections of master browsers/etc. and access via non-broadcast networks (such as OpenVPN tunnels).

WINS is antiquated, and should never be used. A properly configured DNS resolver is best.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Yeah, but someone forgot to tell it to Exchange 2003. And OP's original desire to have network browsing working.

Exchange 2003 is 10 years old, time to upgrade. Also, it works wonderfully without WINS, I've still got it in service too. Seriously, disaster recovery in 2007/2010 is MUCH BETTER. I haven't played with the new one yet.

Network browsing will work if you have a domain, because the DC is a master browser. I guess if you don't have a domain you could hack it in with a Linux box running WINS, but there really is little benefit. If you follow the thread a bit you'll also find the OP redefined his goal of simply getting short names to work.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123