Default Steam Network Unreachable with Untangle 10

I have recently upgraded my Untangle version from 9.4 to 10 and now 10.1. I have been an avid user of Untangle since 2005 and have never had an issue with it that I couldn't figure out. However, since upgrading to 10.0 and now 10.1, none of my clients on my network can access Steam networks. I know for sure that is is my Untangle firewall as I have completely removed Untangle out of my network path and I can connect to the Steam network just fine. I am receiving the following error message at the client when trying to connect:

Steam Error.PNG

I have disabled Web Filter, Virus Blocker, Phish Blocker, Application Control Lite, Intrusion Prevention and even my Firewall module with no avail. I have also added bypass rules to allow the appropriate TCP and UDP ports from potentially getting blocked by anything (see below):

ByPass.PNG

I also removed any filter rules to try to ensure that maybe that could be the cause. I also added a filter rule (including a rule in my firewall) to allow ALL egress (outbound) traffic out of my network with also no success:

filter.PNG

Also tried an input filter rule as well (removed the block all also to test with):

input_filter.PNG

Unfortunately I can't see any logs within the untangle that is showing me that this traffic is being blocked as it leaves my network. If there is anyone who has had a similar issue, your help would be much appreciated. I am impressed with the new version of Untangle and am really trying to avoid to roll-back to version 9, however at this point I have no other alternatives.
    Last edited by jbalog; 02-07-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jbalog View Post
    I have recently upgraded my Untangle version from 9.4 to 10 and now 10.1. I have been an avid user of Untangle since 2005 and have never had an issue with it that I couldn't figure out. However, since upgrading to 10.0 and now 10.1, none of my clients on my network can access Steam networks. I know for sure that is is my Untangle firewall as I have completely removed Untangle out of my network path and I can connect to the Steam network just fine. I am receiving the following error message at the client when trying to connect:

Steam Error.PNG

I have disabled Web Filter, Virus Blocker, Phish Blocker, Application Control Lite, Intrusion Prevention and even my Firewall module with no avail. I have also added bypass rules to allow the appropriate TCP and UDP ports from potentially getting blocked by anything (see below):

ByPass.PNG

I also removed any filter rules to try to ensure that maybe that could be the cause. I also added a filter rule (including a rule in my firewall) to allow ALL egress (outbound) traffic out of my network with also no success:

filter.PNG

Also tried an input filter rule as well (removed the block all also to test with):

input_filter.PNG

Unfortunately I can't see any logs within the untangle that is showing me that this traffic is being blocked as it leaves my network. If there is anyone who has had a similar issue, your help would be much appreciated. I am impressed with the new version of Untangle and am really trying to avoid to roll-back to version 9, however at this point I have no other alternatives.
    I hear you so have I been using untangle since version 6.x love it well till version 10 that is..lol.

yes I have seen this happen some in version 9.x but does seem to be more in version 10 along with some other problems..in version 10..

I only have the port forward rules for steam client enabled.. I think I have 3 nodes with steam on them and a tablet.
    it will often times show one or more of us as offline even though there is a internet connection you can get to google etc.

here is a screen of what rules I have in there to kind of get it working in version 10. I first created these way back for
    a game called cod mw3 and it worked fine until 9.x and now 10.

I have not tried version 10.1 yet. going to spend Saturday morning loading ver 10.1 and see if it fixes any thing.

will report back and let you know what I find out from version 10.1.

steam1.pngsteam2.pngsteam3.png

Steam requires zero configuration to work.

Something else is wrong.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Steam on my PC works with no special Untangle settings.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Steam on my PC works with no special Untangle settings.
    I am the same my steam worked with out any problems.. the test
    network is cable modem -untangle -then around 5 steam clients.

I did have to put some port forward rules in for certain games on steam but that is normal.

I just copied the game rules from version 9 and they worked fine in 10. and then again in 10.1..

good luck.

Port forwards are only required to host some games. If you're just connecting and playing, you don't have to do anything.

I do have a bypass rule for stuff destined to UDP 27015 because otherwise populating a server list takes AGES.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thanks for all of your help everyone, yes I had port forwards set up for much older Steam documentation that required additional ports for dedicated servers to be opened up other than the standard TCP 27015. I have removed my configuration to only TCP 27015 to which everything now works perfectly. The most updated reference can be found here:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...dicated_Server

Any other URLs should be ignored as it will produce undesirable effects, primarily with your Steam Client (if running on the same LAN as your dedicated server(s)).

Thank you to everyone's suggestions. I was able to successfully get all of my dedicated servers to successfully connect with Steam's servers while being able to appropriate populate my own steam server list within my steam client as an individual player. To get this working correctly with Untangle 10, I had to perform the following:

FIREWALL RULE SETTINGS
    For running a Steam Dedicated Server, only one (1) firewall rule is required:

Permit TCP-UDP 27015
    You will need to open up both TCP and UDP for each dedicated server that you are running on your local area network (LAN). Although the Steam Guide indicates that only the RCON port needs to be open (TCP), in my testing (UDP) also needs to be open for each server port. In my example below, I am hosting three different dedicated servers on my LAN. I am using therefore TCP-UDP ports 27015, 27016 and 27017:

Capture1.PNG

BYPASS RULE SETTINGS
    NO Bypass Rules are required for running a Steam Dedicated server or playing on any Steam Client games. I tested this thoroughly and find no need to implement ByPass rules for either using the Steam client or for hosting your own Steam dedicated server.

PORT FORWARD RULE SETTINGS (MOST IMPORTANT PORTION OF CONFIGURATION)
    The way I was able to get this to successfully work (for hosting dedicated servers and also using the Steam client on the same LAN) was to appropriately forward the each individual dedicated Steam Server Listening Port (TCP & UDP) and by NOT using a port forward range! I therefore configured three (3) simple rules for each of my dedicated server ports that I had to forward. This was exactly opposite of my original rule where I had forwarded the entire TCP-UDP range to my dedicated server (TCP/UDP 27015-27017). The three simple rules I created are shown below:

Capture2.JPG

I hope this information helps other dedicated Steam server owners who are using Untangle as their primary firewall.