Untanglit

Default Question on network throughput

Forum,

This may seem like a dumb question but I want to make sure of network throughput with Untangle. I am using an Untangle System in the test lab but only with the lite packages just to see how everything works. I have 4 pc's behind it on a 100mb unmanaged switch. I wanted to know if Untangle can restrict the network throughput any from the computers on the inside getting out for downloading and uploading? I have just the filters that were pre-programmed into the system and no custom filters. So in a since it is straight out of the box with 100mb NIC cards. I am just curious if it impedes the network flow if any. http://forums.untangle.com/images/smilies/confused.png

Thanks ahead

v/r,
    GSD

Any filter put delay in the throughput compared to wire speed. But you are more secured and under policy.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Untangle has a free QoS function for bypassed traffic, and a paid Bandwidth Control module that does the rest.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Sky-Knight thanks for the information and I am using the QoS function. I am just trying to get the facts because I have HughesNet (I know it sucks) as my ISP that is supposed to give me 15Mb throughput but I am only getting 2 or 5mbs. They are saying it is my Untangle System but I am getting different results going out than they are. I want to make 100% sure before I blast them for poor throughput.

Thank again for the answers, currently I am just running it straight out the box so no filters on it. I just want to see how much it cuts down as I add filters.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Untangle has a free QoS function for bypassed traffic, and a paid Bandwidth Control module that does the rest.

Ahh, that's a different question. You'll need to rule out deficient hardware.

To do that the easiest way is to get into Untangle via SSH and run the following command.

/etc/init.d/untangle-vm stop

That will disable the Untangle filters and you'll be left with a linux router that's very similar to a linksys device. Run your tests, see how fast it goes. Then use /etc/init.d/untangle-vm start to bring Untangle back up.

Your speeds will only get slower once Untangle is actually working. If you can't run full speed with the VM off, you've got a hardware issue to sort out. But honestly it doesn't take much to get to 15mbit with Untangle. A single core P4 1.0ghz CPU, 1gb of ram, and a pair of Intel 10/100 NICs can easily do 20-30mbit.

The latency on a satellite connection is always going to be a problem, but that's not the same as bandwidth.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com