Default script auto shutdown untangle

Hello,

Recently i have installed untangle, successfully working with all free features, in current scenario we need to auto shutdown our server at 5:00 PM every evening, all other servers have schedule to shutdown, but untangle does not have such facility, please help me how could we shutdown untangle automatically at schedule time.

Regards
    Sikandar

What you want to do makes almost no sense, but if you must, you'll need shell (ssh) access. From there, you can set a cron job, just like for any other linux server.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 14.2.2 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

I wouldn't set a cron job, I'd use plink or a similar tool to issue a shutdown command from somewhere else. (still needs SSH enabled) That's how I integrate with UPSs most of the time. No modifications to the UT OS, and all my shutdown scripts are in one place for easy maintenance.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    What you want to do makes almost no sense, .....
    It does if you're in one of those parts of the world where the power gets shut off at night.
    floydque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fasttech View Post
    It does if you're in one of those parts of the world where the power gets shut off at night.
    +1
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by fasttech View Post
    Thanks all of you , special thanks to Fasttech, to understand the basic issue, Thats what i want to achieve.....i think i have following options to shutdown the untangle server remotely.

1)via remote session ( but i am not sure how to access remotely to shutdown untangle(i can access its administration/configuration etc)
    2)a script to schedule (???)
    3)via LAN(wakeOnLan something)

please help, if someone already did this....

Regards

Start here: http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/Enable_SSH

You need to enable SSH if you want to do anything. It's possible to manipulate the web interface, but that's a ton more work. Also, that wiki article opens SSH to the world, this is VERY BAD. You want to use the filter rules to limit access to only a trusted place. Failure to do so will get you hacked, notice the definitive there. If you open SSH too broadly, it's a when, not an if you get hacked.

From there you can do anything really. But the two obvious options are to:

1.) Write a linux script that shutsdown the system, and attach that script to a cron job to run at the needed time.
    2.) Write a script on a remote system that can issue the shutdown command remotely. That's where my "plink" suggestion comes in. Plink is a Windows command line tool that's part of the Putty suite. It can issue commands to Untangle server via SSH from a windows machine. I'm far better at building Windows command scripts, so I prefer to write them. But I also prefer to have a single system controlling all shutdown processes.

You're mileage may vary, but if you aren't familiar with Linux, or Windows command lines, and scripting them you're in for a rough ride.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thanks sky-knight, appreciated your suggestions, i will work on it.....
    i do scripting, sql queries,crystal reports etc, i hope script may not trouble me, i was unaware the door to open UT. i will test rest of the work.

To Shutdown "UT", one thing i have found interesting, to achieve one of my goal is to shutdown remotely, can be achieved Manually

just access "UT" via its IP

Config > System > Support "Manual Reboot" , "Manual Shutdown"

its not automated / schedule task, but for some extent it is an alternate too.