Master Untangler

Default Can't enter MAC address for Static DHCP

Man, Talk about feeling like a moron.....

Something so basic, yet it's absolutely positively refusing to work. This is a brand new install of 11.1 (most recent image AFAIK) with a handful of updates applied on 28 March. It's on a new box which is currently sitting behind my working Untangle 9.4 box, getting its "WAN" address as a member of the LAN. There is nothing connected to the new box's LAN port ATM. This installed and updated without any errors of which I was aware. Everything looks "normal" about it, at least as normal as it can in its current location.

Anyway, I need to set up a few static DHCP entries. Printers, Access Points, etc. I have the DHCP configuration dialog open where it prompts for a MAC address and the associated local IP address. And I have run into a solid roadblock here. This dialog will absolutely positively NOT accept any MAC address entered. Any entry is declared "Invalid" (with the red "!"), and this includes the demonstration 11:22:33:44:55:66. The MAC is rejected with or without any further detail on the line, such as the IP address.

I had no issue at all with this in 9.4. Worked exactly as expected/advertised. It couldn't be simpler to configure. The only possible cause I can think of is that maybe the entered MAC must already exist on the LAN, which it does not.

Any ideas what's going on?

Typo? Copy and paste the faulty mac address into the thread.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Sorry.
    Yes it is broken.
    It will be fixed in the next 11.1 build.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

As a workaround, you can use the + in the current DHCP leases list to add a MAC to the static DHCP list.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Pretty well excluded typo. Typed the entry at least 10 times (Yeah... I know.... Insanity) with/without caps. Field input filter automatically enforces ":" delimiter, so that's not it. Tried four different valid addresses. And as I said, it rejects its own example! I'd just start over from scratch again since I don't have any significant time invested yet, but there's absolutely no indication of issues anywhere else.

Maybe I'll just forge ahead and live without the static IPs. But I'd sure like to know what's going on since I will have an eventual need for them.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    As a workaround, you can use the + in the current DHCP leases list to add a MAC to the static DHCP list.
    Good idea, thanks. When I move the box over to its final destination that will work fine for the handful of addresses I need.

BTW, turns out that I may not need as many as I thought. Windows usually configures network printers by using their IP address as the port name, but I have now found that it works just as well with printer name (i.e. as it appears in DNS) as port name if you just enter it manually rather than let the wizard set up the printer.

Glad to hear that it's a bug and not some stunning stupidity on my part.