Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Failed torrent tracker with transmission on FreeNAS box

I hope this is the proper place to post this, my apologies if not. Also, forgive my noob-ness, I'm just starting to learn a little more advanced networking and wanted to use Untangle as my playground/tutor.

I've just installed Untangle at home as a router. I've had a FreeNAS box running behind my old Rosewill RNX router for about a year now without problems. The FreeNAS box runs its own software with a static IP of 10.0.0.75. FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD and also runs a "jail" or sort of virtual machine that runs Transmission, a bittorrent client. The Transmission jail has its own IP of 10.0.0.82 (all IPs have been changed to protect the innocent). The jail connects to the Internet via a VPN (one of the popular VPN service providers on the net).

Here's a basic network diagram:

Untangle (10.0.0.1) ---- switch ---- Transmission jail (10.0.0.82) on FreeNAS box (10.0.0.75)

Untangle itself works fine, connects all my other systems to the Internet just fine. The problem I have now, is that any torrent file will throw an error after a minute or so saying "Tracker: Connection failed" or "Tracker: Could not connect to tracker."

The tracker should be reliable, as it is the torrent.ubuntu.com, downloading Ubuntu 15.04 for desktop.

I have turned off all Untangle services (except for Reports and Configuration Backup). I have restarted Untangle and my FreeNAS box. I even turned off the Shield (though not sure what that would do, since when I looked at the Shield log, everything was "passed").

I don't have any port forwarding rules set up, because I understand, when using the VPN, the port forwarding happens on the VPN side, rather than locally. Regardless, on my old Rosewill router, no port forwarding rules were needed. Also, I did try to create a rule to forward on Untangle, using the port found in the transmission settings, forwarding TCP/UDP to 10.0.0.82, but that still didn't work.

Searching the forums, I saw someone who had some torrent issues put their box's IP in a Bypass rule. I even tried that, using the rule of Destination Address is 10.0.0.82. But that didn't work either.

Plugging everything back into my Rosewill router makes everything work again.

I'm kind of running out of options to turn off in Untangle. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks a lot.

Try a bypass rule with Source Address = 10.0.0.82 (since you want to bypass sessions *from* that server)

Hard to say what the issue is... what type of VPN is it? Does it connect? Can you connect through the VPN? What kind of internet connection do you have? Could be an MTU issue...
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Thanks. I tried the rule with the Source Address, restarted everything, and still no go.

The VPN is Private Internet Access (PIA). It has been working great with my prior router for about a year; this old router basically has everything set at default, no DMZ or anything. The only thing I did was turn off the wireless radio, because I have other access points that I use for wireless. Again, when I connect this old router, everything works fine, so it's this new Untangle box that is the only variable change.

Internet connection is Comcast broadband, one of their faster packages, I'm not sure what other characteristics would be helpful.

What does the session viewer show? Is the torrent traffic from x.82 or x.75?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Strangely, the session viewer does not mention either 10.0.0.82 or 10.0.0.75. Perhaps because there is no torrent traffic, since the client cannot even connect to the tracker?

I would try to generate some type of traffic from the NAS to see, using the session viewer, if it's even going through the Untangle.

That's a good point, and you're right. My NAS is no longer connecting to the Internet, giving me errors such as:
    freenas ntpd_initres[2012]: host name not found: 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org

And within the web interface for the NAS, it will no longer find plugins, etc, that are hosted on Internet sites.

This is strange, since my other computers all connect to the Internet fine with the Untangle box.

I thought it may be due to the fact that my NAS box declares a static IP, 10.0.0.75, and maybe Untangle didn't like that.

But I tried to set a static IP on my Windows 8.1 desktop, and that worked just fine.

I would start with the basics and get the NAS to see the local network and then the Internet.

Yes, the NAS definitely sees the local network. I can ping it, and my kids are watching a video stored on it right now on another machine.

From a shell window in the NAS, I can ping all my connected machines. I just can't ping google.com, or any other internet site.

It says:
    ping: cannot resolve google.com: Host name lookup failure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast