Untanglit

Default Bridge mode is not working...either physical or virtual

Hello,
    Looking for more help. Seeing as using a virtual setup is more or less unsupported, I created a physical setup of Untangle 11.2 x64 on dedicated hardware. Earlier I had a problem that I reported that in the Hyper-V virtual environment, Untangle could access the Internet but the LAN could not.

I am having the same problem with dedicated hardware. This is a bridge setup. I have a Cisco 1841 router that is Internet facing and running NAT, router, and firewall. The Cisco has IP 10.0.0.1 and so Untangle has 10.0.0.2. My switch which is also Cisco (SG-300) is operating in Layer3 mode so it has two IP addresses, first is 10.0.0.3 which is a VLAN assigned to Port 1 and the second IP is 10.0.3.1 which is operating on the remaining ports on a second VLAN.

At present the switch has a static route from 10.0.3.0 to 10.0.0.1. And the Cisco router has a static route from 10.0.0.3 to 10.0.3.0. I have attached a diagram of the network setup.

Anyway the problem is bridge mode does not work. I have set a static IP on Untangle to be 10.0.0.2. It can access the Internet without any trouble. Untangle can ping the router and the router can ping Untangle. However, anything on the switch and beyond cannot ping Untangle or the router, nor can the clients reach the Internet.

I setup a test outside the switch with a Laptop and gave it an IP of 10.0.0.4 so it was on the same subnet as Untangle. Still did not work. If I plug the Laptop into Untangle WAN port, it can ping it. If I plug it back into the LAN port, no longer pingable. I have tried redefining eth0 and eth1 to verify both ports are working. Same issue and both ports do work and the cables are fully functional.

Is there some sort of trick to getting bridge mode to work? I am able to get Untangle to work in Router mode, but I have been unsuccessful in getting it to work in Bridge mode. The two LAN adapters it is using are Broadcom chipset.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Evancool; 11-24-2015 at 10:16 PM.

If you can't ping Untangle not much will work.

I would use tcpdump or the packet test in config > network > troubleshooting. Is Untangle seeing the ping requests? If not, I suspect some physical issue or a hardware issue. Or maybe Untangle just doesn't like those NICs....

Untangle has 4 NICs and they are all bridged together?
    Evancool likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Sorry, the diagram may have been a bit confusing. Actually what I was trying to illustrate was the different setup iterations between Untangle and the laptop and two switches. So iteration #1 was untangle to cisco switch. #2 was was untangle to laptop and #3 was untangle to unmanaged switch.

However, as odd as it seems, I managed to get it to work. After running tcpdump and trying to ping the second IP of the cisco switch, I realized that I needed to create a static route on Untangle that matched that of the cisco router.

So in Untangle Routes page, I added a static route for Network 10.0.3./26 and next hop was 10.0.0.3. Then everything was peachy. Not sure why the laptop and unmanaged switch failed but at least it is working.

Thanks for the quick response!

glad you figured it out!
    Evancool likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Good catch!

And yes, Untangle's bridging needs a complete layer 3 configuration to work properly. So if you've got an internal network that can't be found along the default route egress, you need static routes to fill the void.

Otherwise, well... you saw what happens.
    Evancool likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com