Master Untangler

Default Hosts from Site to Site connection showing up in Host Viewer?

Ok, weird one.

We've got 2 Untangles setup, with an OpenVPN site to site between them.

When I was looking at Site A this morning, I noticed the host count was abnormally high. When I looked in the viewer, I had a solid 150 clients from Site B appearing in the Site A host viewer.

Looking in Site B shows a decent amount of Site A's clients in there as well.

Is this normal behavior? I sorta feel like I'm getting ding'd double for hosts right now from a licensing perspective, and want to make sure I can figure out whats going on.

If absolutely needed, I could bypass the whole VPN connection, but I'm sorta wondering why their showing up in the first place.

I wouldn't worry about it, the remote devices don't count. At least I've never counted them.

But they will show up on the host table because they are transiting the server in question.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it, the remote devices don't count. At least I've never counted them.

But they will show up on the host table because they are transiting the server in question.
    Alright, that is what I was worried about, as it was spiking us over our licensed amount.

To be clear, my understanding is that split-tunnel devices don't count, but Full tunnel devices do.

Site-to-site is always split tunnel. So I've never counted devices behind that far side Untangle because those are licensed there.

However, if you had a softVPN client using either VPN module, configured for full tunnel, they'd be subject to Untangle's filters, and do need to be counted.

When in doubt, call sales.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com