Untanglit

Default How to get IPv6 up and running

Hi,

So... my TWC-owned modem just rebooted earlier, around midnight my time. (Central).

I didn't realize this was what was happening as the Internet briefly dropped, but once it came back up, I checked the modem and saw that it'd gotten the new firmware. Woo! That means I get IPv6 back!

But wait... I don't know what my IPv6 assignment is. How do I get Untangle to request one so I can configure it in Untangle?

I added these bit to DNSmasq:

Code:
    dhcp-option=option6:dns-server,[2001:4860:4860::8888]
    dhcp-range=::100,::1ff,constructor:eth0
    Note: eth0 is external, eth1 is internal.

Which *should* get eth0, my external interface to pick up an IPv6 assignment without knowing what the IPv6 IP is. Or should I be attaching that to eth1?

Basically, TL;DR: I'd like to get IPv6 up and going on Untangle but to do that via the UI requires knowing what my IPv6 assignment is... and frankly? I'd rather not have to unplug the Untangle device just to plug in my laptop and find out what the IPv6 assignment is just to get Untangle to pick it up properly and pass that assignment to the LAN.

I know Untangle has preliminary IPv6 support but only because Untangle is based on Debian, which already has IPv6 support, just not support for processing IPv6 traffic at this time. I'm willing to accept that compromise so long as I get to mess with ip6tables as needed until Untangle has official IPv6 support fully baked in.
    Last edited by Keiro; 10-11-2016 at 02:41 AM.

Banned

Why are you are excited about IPv6? There are security and privacy issues that haven't been resolved with it and I won't be transitioning to it for the near future.

I disable IPv6 on everything, even APN change on my mobile phones to enforce IPv4 only. Teredo and Isatap disabled on all Windows systems and application control blocking IPv6 in Firewall with IPv6 on the WAN disabled.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by Mayahana View Post
    Why are you are excited about IPv6? There are security and privacy issues that haven't been resolved with it and I won't be transitioning to it for the near future.

I disable IPv6 on everything, even APN change on my mobile phones to enforce IPv4 only. Teredo and Isatap disabled on all Windows systems and application control blocking IPv6 in Firewall with IPv6 on the WAN disabled.
    While I don't mind your post regarding disabling IPv6... I was not asking for how to disable IPv6. For others that may attempt to convince me to leave IPv6 disabled on Untangle — don't, please. It's a waste of your time.

I have IPv6 natively, now. I wish to utilize IPv6 natively via Untangle. The reason why does not matter, only that I wish to enable IPv6 routing in Untangle.

Security and privacy issues... such as? These can be easily dealt with, with the usage of ip6tables and IPv6 privacy extensions. It's that simple.