Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    what part in the documentation does this conflict with? Can you provide a link? I'll take a look.

What specifically isn't working? If a rule isn't matching as you would expect, I would look at the rule and check the events in reports.
    The session viewer will also work, but you'll need to ignore sessions that existed prior to your rule being added.
    Thanks for trying to sort this one out, its appreciated...

Take a look at my post from 07:18 PM. There is a link to the QoS Wiki page which explains the specific case about bypassed traffic rules.

There are some 'Built In' rules (not custom...) for a number of traffic types as can be seen in the screenshot from the same post, Ping, DNS, SSH and OpenVP. If I change the priority of one of these built in types eg. OpenVPN, it has no effect on the traffic, bypassed, or not bypassed. This is not working.

Secondly, the 'QoS Statistics' box on the configuration page shows no statistics (its blank). This is not working.

The only thing I could get to work was to create a custom bypass rule for OpenVPN traffic, then a custom QoS rule for OpenVPN traffic. When I did this, the priority of OpenVPN traffic changed in the session viewer (by still no QoS statistics).

1) true
    2) no idea what this means. everything applies to all traffic except custom rules which only apply to bypassed sessions
    3) true

this is consistent with the docs AFAIK.
    Like I said, just link the part of the docs that is incorrect and Ill take a look.

Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Yes, built in rules (all rules actually) only apply to new sessions.

Yes, the stats are blank until you hit refresh. If QoS is disabled it won't display stats even if refreshed.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangler

Yes, built in rules (all rules actually) only apply to new sessions.
    So, my reading of the docs is that built in rules apply to scanned traffic, and custom rules apply to bypassed traffic, correct ?

Yes, the stats are blank until you hit refresh. If QoS is disabled it won't display stats even if refreshed.
    Yes, it did occur to me to hit the 'Refresh' button on the QoS Statistics box before coming onto the forum to say that it doesn't, but just to clarify, hitting the refresh button on the QoS Statistics box causes the box to flash grey for a second, when its then replaced with the same blank contents that were there previously...

I believe that the "QoS Custom Rules" only apply to new and bypassed sessions.
    They will not effect old sessions when changed, and they will have no effect on scanned sessions.

"QoS Rules" applies to all new sessions.
    This includes scanned and bypassed sessions.

edit: for clarity.
    Last edited by dmorris; 10-16-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tescophil View Post
    1) Scanned OpenVPN traffic not affected by built in (non-custom) QoS rule (the docs say otherwise)
    In coming OpenVPN session is bypassed and custom rules will be applied. OpenVPN session going through the Untangle out to the Internet is not bypassed and therefore will NOT have custom rules applied.

2) Bypassed OpenVPN traffic not affected by built-in rules
    That is not what your session posted is showing. Where are you seeing that?

3) Bypassed OpenVPN traffic is affected by custom rules (made a new custom rule which changes the priority from Medium to High)

So, IMHO the docs need changing to reflect this, as it is clearly mis-representing the product to day that QoS applies to all traffic.., unless it is the intention that it applies to all traffic, in which case its just broken...
    If you are not willing to read the session viewer as it applies the the rules, not much more we can help.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangler

Ok, thought I was getting somewhere here, but clearly not...are you just not reading my posts clearley on purpose...?

I said :

1) Scanned OpenVPN traffic not affected by built in (non-custom) QoS rule (the docs say otherwise)

You replied :

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    In coming OpenVPN session is bypassed and custom rules will be applied. OpenVPN session going through the Untangle out to the Internet is not bypassed and therefore will NOT have custom rules applied.
    I say NON-CUSTOM rules...,I know that custom rules will only match bypassed traffic, but there is a 'standard, ie. non-custom rule built in which can be changed to affect the priority of OpenVPN traffic, however you said previously :

QoS rules in Config -> Network -> Advanced -> QoS only apply to bypassed sessions (second column in your attached pic). To apply QoS to Non-bypassed sessions, use rules in Bandwidth Control app.
    Where as you colleague has just confirmed :

"QoS Rules" applies to all new sessions.
    This includes scanned and bypassed sessions.
    So who is right here...?

I then said

2) Bypassed OpenVPN traffic not affected by built-in rules

You said :

That is not what your session posted is showing. Where are you seeing that?
    I'm sorry, but that's exactly what it shows... here :

Screenshot from 2016-10-16 19:06:02.png

More specifically this shows that DNS(53) traffic is prioritised as 'Very High' (as per the rules) and other VPN traffic (443) is set to 'Medium', when under the QoS built in rules I have it set to 'High'.. exactly what do you think this shows...?

I then go on to say :

3) Bypassed OpenVPN traffic is affected by custom rules (made a new custom rule which changes the priority from Medium to High)

So, I go it working with a bypassed rule, as advertised, proving there is therefor an issue/bug/problem with matching non-bypassed traffic using standard rules (2), and you reply by throwing you toys out of the pram, and tell me to RTFM...

I've previously received good advice on this forum before, however, still had no acknowledgement there is a problem with matching built in rules on non-bypassed traffic, and nothing on the blank statistics...

This is not productive.

Everything that every employee has said is consistent with the documentation. Custom QoS rules only apply to bypassed sessions, everything else including the "QoS Rules" applies to all sessions.
    There are no known issues.

The fact that it does not work for you is not relevant. There could be many explanations for seeing the things you are seeing. As it states in the new users guide to the forum - we have never fixed "it doesn't work." We never will.

It is worth a read: https://forums.untangle.com/announce...uidelines.html

We are willing to help, but you clearly do not want to provide the information necessary to help you.
    Support is available if you have a subscription. I would recommend the phone as the best option for you. I do not believe email will be effective.
    Last edited by dmorris; 10-16-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12