Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default QoS Setup and Statistics

Hi,

Just enabled the QoS facility, taken all the defaults apart from setting OpenVPN Priority to High. Set the upload and download bandwidth to 85% of the maximums I see on my WAN interface which is connected to DMZ of Sky Fibre DSL Router with Untangle v.12.1.1 on static IP address.

So, after running for 24 hours I see no 'QoS Statistics' appear in the log at the bottom of the setup page. I added the 'Priority (QoS)' field to the session viewer and see low, medium, high etc, however when I connect a client over OpenVPN the priority in the session viewer says Medium for all the traffic to/from the client, even though I set the default to High.

Before posting here I disabled the QoS facility and looked once again at the session viewer which still has the QoS Priority field populated even though the module is disabled, so, my question: Is the QoS service doing anything at all ? as the session view displays the priority regardless, and I see no stats showing the service is functioning.

Screenshot from session viewer showing OpenVPN traffic

Screenshot from 2016-10-16 13:53:18.png

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tescophil View Post
    Hi,
    So, after running for 24 hours I see no 'QoS Statistics' appear in the log at the bottom of the setup page.
    Thanks.
    Click refresh button at the bottom to see the statistics. What version are you running?

I added the 'Priority (QoS)' field to the session viewer and see low, medium, high etc, however when I connect a client over OpenVPN the priority in the session viewer says Medium for all the traffic to/from the client, even though I set the default to High.

Before posting here I disabled the QoS facility and looked once again at the session viewer which still has the QoS Priority field populated even though the module is disabled, so, my question: Is the QoS service doing anything at all ? as the session view displays the priority regardless, and I see no stats showing the service is functioning.

Thanks.
    QoS rules in Config -> Network -> Advanced -> QoS only apply to bypassed sessions (second column in your attached pic). To apply QoS to Non-bypassed sessions, use rules in Bandwidth Control app.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Hi,

Refresh does nothing and it's version 12.1.1

According to the docs, it's custom rules that only work on bypassed traffic:

'As the note warns, QoS Custom Rules only match on bypassed traffic - they will do nothing if the traffic is not bypassed.'

So, QoS should work on non-bypassed traffic that don't match custom rules. Can anyone confirm this ?

Still no stats display...

Untangle Ninja

My experience is that QoS applies to bypassed traffic only. The apps provide QoS functionality for all other traffic.

Hi,
    Refresh does nothing and it's version 12.1.1
    I would open a support ticket if you have a subscription.

According to the docs, it's custom rules that only work on bypassed traffic:
    'As the note warns, QoS Custom Rules only match on bypassed traffic - they will do nothing if the traffic is not bypassed.'
    So, QoS should work on non-bypassed traffic that don't match custom rules. Can anyone confirm this ?
    Still no stats display...
    Yes. The docs list exactly what I'm saying. Your screen capture show the sessions as not bypassed, therefore the session has the default QoS priority is medium.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Yes. The docs list exactly what I'm saying. Your screen capture show the sessions as not bypassed, therefore the session has the default QoS priority is medium.
    Look, you do not seem to be reading the docs in context, the QoS wiki page ( https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/QoS ) at no point says that the QoS functionality only applies to bypassed traffic. It draws attention to a specific note within the Custom Rules setup pointing out that 'Custom rules only match bypassed traffic'

Screenshot from 2016-10-16 18:57:23.png

I don't think the documentation is ambiguous here (although it may just be plain wrong), but as written, QoS applies to all traffic. Bypassed traffic is ignored, as it should be, unless it matches a custom rule (this is what the Note in the docs and the interface is pointing out, otherwise it just doesnt make sense to apply QoS to bypassed traffic, because its.... bypassed). It would be pointless to make this distinction about custom rules if in fact QoS only applied to bypassed traffic in general as you suggest.

As a final test, I created a bypass rule for my OpenVPN traffic, re-ran my test with QoS enabled, and my OpenVNP sessions appear as bypassed traffic, but still at the default priority of medium (I have it set to High).

Screenshot from 2016-10-16 19:06:02.png

QED: It's not working..., unless I'm missing something here....?

P.S. I don't have a subscription, just using the free stack. Untangle is great, been using it for 5 years, but the subscriptions for individual modules like Bandwidth Control are priced out of the home consumer market. With my kids devices, IoT etc, I have over 30 hosts on my network, so I would have to spend $540 just to get Bandwidth control, which is more than I pay for my Fibre Broadband, Phone and TV combined...
    Last edited by tescophil; 10-16-2016 at 11:30 AM. Reason: PS Update

QoS applies to all traffic.
    Custom Rules apply to only bypassed traffic.
    If you want to set the priority of scanned (non-bypassed) traffic, use Bandwidth Control
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    QoS applies to all traffic.
    Custom Rules apply to only bypassed traffic.
    If you want to set the priority of scanned (non-bypassed) traffic, use Bandwidth Control
    Excuse me for being dumb, but doesn't Scanned Traffic fall under the banner of All Traffic ? Your colleague said that QoS only applied to bypassed traffic, you say it applies to all traffic, but if I want to set the priority of scanned (non-bypassed) traffic I have to use Bandwidth Control. In other words it looks like its only possible to set the priority of bypassed traffic, with both built in or custom rules (contradicting what your documentation says).

See the P.S in my previous post about the Bandwidth Control Module.

Rather than continue this semantic conversation, given my previous example where I bypassed my OpenVPN traffic which was then not set at the correct QoS priority, is anyone able to actually tell my why the QoS module isn't working, because it shows no stats, and does not set the priority for OpenVPN traffic, bypassed or otherwise

what part in the documentation does this conflict with? Can you provide a link? I'll take a look.

What specifically isn't working? If a rule isn't matching as you would expect, I would look at the rule and check the events in reports.
    The session viewer will also work, but you'll need to ignore sessions that existed prior to your rule being added.

edit: read the whole thread.
    Everything jcoffin says is correct. He is taking about "QoS rules." The "QoS custom rules" only apply to bypassed traffic. This is consistent with what I said above and what the docs say AFAIK.

Otherwise, take a breath and slow down. Take screenshows and provide information or contact support and they can help you with your rules if you have a subscription.
    We can't see your rules or your configuration. You say in your first post that you disabled QoS. If its disabled then the custom rules won't have any effect. Even if QoS is disabled session can still have the priority set in the session viewer. It will have no effect if QoS is disabled.
    Last edited by dmorris; 10-16-2016 at 12:05 PM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    My experience is that QoS applies to bypassed traffic only. The apps provide QoS functionality for all other traffic.
    Thanks for the reply, my experience is that nothing in the QoS system works apart from custom rules on bypassed traffic. My Experience using OpenVPN traffic as an example

1) Scanned OpenVPN traffic not affected by built in (non-custom) QoS rule (the docs say otherwise)
    2) Bypassed OpenVPN traffic not affected by built-in rules
    3) Bypassed OpenVPN traffic is affected by custom rules (made a new custom rule which changes the priority from Medium to High)

So, IMHO the docs need changing to reflect this, as it is clearly mis-representing the product to day that QoS applies to all traffic.., unless it is the intention that it applies to all traffic, in which case its just broken...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast