Untangler

Default Port Forwarding Stopped after Server Change

Hi,

This problem was been solved, but I'd like to try and understand the root cause to prevent future issues.

My client is running Untangle V12.1.0 in it's most simplest implementation, i.e. router mode, NO DMZ, No Virtualisation, No Sub-netting on a top-spec'd HP Proliant DL360 server. Untangle has been used for several years.

Today, I moved Untangle to a new HP Proliant server for them.

I installed Untangle, then ran the last RESTORE, with NETWORK SETTINGS. I did pick up that the Router side IP changed, but no worries, the interface page detected this and had the NICs in the correct order. The connectivity test was successful.

Install seemed to go fine, but Post Implementation testing showed that incoming emails were not working. Internet + outgoing email were fine. I checked that the old Port 25 FWD rule to Exchange was still present and there were no ordering conflicts there. I checked the Untangle Network logs and they showed no port forward activity of any kind. Client also had a Port Fwd rule for RDC, and I tested that which also failed - again, no Port FWD entries in the log.

Diagram is attached.

ScreenHunter_262 Nov. 16 23.04.jpg

In desperation I put the old router IP Address as an IP Override in the Untangle Interface page, all started working again.

My client does not have the Router password, so I couldn't manage the IP settings there.

Does anyone know why this may have only impacted the Port Forwarding ?

Wayne Robinson
    Grafton Australia

First issue is there is a double NAT going on. The modem has NAT to the 192.168.1.x and Untangle NAT is to 192.168.0.x. Multiple NAT should be avoided.

The port forward issue is that the modem is port forwarding also. If the Untangle IP is changed then the modem port forward rule has to be updated to the new IP of Untangle.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    First issue is there is a double NAT going on. The modem has NAT to the 192.168.1.x and Untangle NAT is to 192.168.0.x. Multiple NAT should be avoided. .
    Many thanks for the speedy response. Sorry, I'm not a network guy, but are you saying that if the internal address of the router is, say, 192.168.1.0 , then the internal network NIC on the Untangle box should also be 192.168.1.0 ?

Wayne Robinson

No, he's saying the External interface should have a public address on it. 192.168 isn't, that's private.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pilotpak View Post
    Many thanks for the speedy response. Sorry, I'm not a network guy, but are you saying that if the internal address of the router is, say, 192.168.1.0 , then the internal network NIC on the Untangle box should also be 192.168.1.0 ?

Wayne Robinson
    There is a port forward on the modem to 192.168.1.2. When the Untangle was changed to 192.168.1.5. Either change the Untangle IP or change the modem port forward. Nothing to do with the Untangle.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    There is a port forward on the modem to 192.168.1.2. When the Untangle was changed to 192.168.1.5. Either change the Untangle IP or change the modem port forward.
    And if you can put the modem into bridge mode, that would be even better.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.4.1 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty