Default Static DHCP: Two macs, one ip address

New user to Untangle, coming from Shibby Tomato on Asus routers. I don't have Untangle in-line just yet as I am migrating all settings/config from tomato first.

In tomato, I am able to set two MAC addresses to a single IP. This comes in handy when a PC has two NICs (not used concurrently) and allows me to switch to the other if one goes down. It's also useful for laptops that have both wifi and ethernet (ie. different MACs) but want them to resolve to the same IP (wifi and ethernet not used concurrently).

Is this possible in Untangle? The admin interface does not make it obvious that it's supported (I did try entering two different lines in the Static DHCP Entries, but it is expectedly rejected).

Thanks...
    Last edited by ctaranto; 02-15-2017 at 10:18 AM.

I am not sure about a single ethernet address assigned to multiple MAC addresses. I am not sure what exactly you are trying to do, but in Untangle there is a Device tab that has all discovered devices on your network and information about each, like MAC address. Also on that page there is a field called Device Username. Here you can put in any description you want for a device. Then you can use that name in your rules and filters in Untangle. An example would be say your son has an iPad, a Laptop with ethernet and wifi, and a iPhone. You could create descriptions like (using Dan as your sons name) Dan Ipad, Dan Laptop Wifi, Dan Laptop Ethernet, Dan iphone. Then in filters and such you can use wildcards. Like filter Dan* and it would get all Dan devices. Or filter Dan Laptop* to get all laptop interfaces. Also in your reports you can display the description so its easier to track than say MAC or IP address. Anyway I don't know exactly what your trying to do, but if filtering, rules, and reports are why you want a single IP to multiple MACs, then maybe Device Username might be better.

Master Untangler

You can not statically reserve two mac addresses to the same ip address in our software as it will result in a Duplicate DHCP reservation error.

Thanks for the answers.

I'm not trying to assign two devices one ip. I'm trying to simplify devices that have two mac addresses but only one is used at a time. Apparently not possible with untangle like it is in tomato.

Master Untangler

I think you would be better off using dns to resolve to either address.

Create the same rule (or policy) you like for each mac/ip of this notebook
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Quote Originally Posted by dwasserman View Post
    Create the same rule (or policy) you like for each mac/ip of this notebook
    For a notebook that will be my solution. For a server running a database, media server, or something ip sensitive, a bit less convenient.

Perhaps the untangle staff can look at shibby tomato for their implementation for a possible future enhancement.

Thanks again for the quick responses!

i loled at thread title
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email [email protected]

lol and what will happen if both NICS are plugged in??? If you are manually going to plug in the second Nic when 1 goes down just give the second nic the new reserved IP, If you are going to leave them both plugged in then what? they both fight for the same IP ??

Yikes. Some pretty strong responses.

First off, the original message says "not used concurrently", so any responses asking "Wait a second, what happens if they are both plugged in concurrently?" just indicates that you didn't read the initial message and don't understand the question being asked.

Second, the "server" that I'm talking about is in a small room in my house with a single ethernet wire entering the room. This "server" is running Mint Linux and running a small database which hosts my MythTV service. In my case, it is impossible for me to plug into both NICs at the same time. The laptop scenario is less important and can be handled with rules for two IPs instead of one.

I was just asking if this was possible because my current router which I have been using for years, running Shibby tomato, does this. Yes, Untangle does a crap-load more stuff and that is why I am adopting it. It was just a simple question, hoping that perhaps I was missing something that was not obvious in the interface. Apparently that is not the case.

It is disheartening that people who obviously don't even understand the question are "lol"ing. Perhaps I should have indicated that I am a "home user", and not trying to do stupid things in a corporate environment.

Thanks again for the responses. I think.