Default Allow Traffic Through WAN (External)

I am new to Untangle, but have found success with the platform for the use cases tested so far. I have just one tricky little item though, letting traffic pass through the WAN.

As yo can see in the diagram, the use case is to connect a DMZ webserver (172.16.1.100) to a database server (192.168.1.206) on the LAN. The webserver should pass traffic to port 3306, but thats it.

I currently have traffic flowing TO the DMZ from the LAN, but no traffic from the DMZ can hit the LAN, it stops at the WAN interface. All settings have been tested on the router above.

How do I pass traffic into the NGFW and route it specifically to the database server (192.168.1.206) from the DMZ webserver (172.16.1.100)?

Thank you for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm assuming the Untangle is in router mode. Just create a port forward rule on the Untangle.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

When that DMZ's traffic hits the Untangle does it come in as 172.16.1.100 or is there some NAt'ing going on above the Untangle in this diagram? If it does come in as 172.16.1.100 a port forward rule with the source address being 172.16.1.100 and destination port of 3306 should do the trick here sending the traffic to 192.168.1.206.

Yes, there is NAT'ing above the Untangle. I suspect the source IP is then changed to the NAT address therefore, the new source address should be used as you point out?

Yes, the Untangle is in Router mode. Ill try the port forward and reply back.

Thank you for the guidance.

At this point, my scanner is returning promising results and thank you for your help.

One other question, is this considered "best practice" for sending traffic into the NGFW or is there another way that is considered by the platform to be more secure, etc?

Master Untangler

With your current physical setup I am not sure there is better way to do it.