Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

No which Intel chipset specifically....If you can get us the motherboard model that will help.

There are certain Intel chipsets that have been around a long long time that have a known bug in their drivers that Intel will not fix. If it's not an i series chipset there's only a few other Intel chipsets now other than iSeries chip sets that are actually stable under Linux that worked in the windows now but they're not stable under Linux.

Master Untangler

Whenever I speed test, my download speed tends to max out around 400 Mbps, while upload hits around 900ish as expected. This doesn't matter what time of day, how many devices, or load.
    Given that he said his upload speed is still "900ish" through Untangle only his download drops to "400 Mbps" shouldn't that remove any hardware limitation issues from the equation?

Master Untangler

The board involved is the Intel Server Board S552OUR. http://ark.intel.com/products/36456/...-Board-S5520UR

I'll happily slap a new Nic in, if someone can point me in the right direction. I've always just through 'buy intel, it works'.

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdyguy View Post
    The board involved is the Intel Server Board S552OUR. http://ark.intel.com/products/36456/...-Board-S5520UR

I'll happily slap a new Nic in, if someone can point me in the right direction. I've always just through 'buy intel, it works'.
    That used to be true. in the windows world that holds true as Microsoft provides a bug free driver for the 8257x series...however for Linux the driver situation is precarious as the 8257 series has had a string of issues with it's linux drivers and Intel is NOT going to fix them. the current supported chipset is the I series of nics. I would try disabling your onboard nics and put in something with an I series nic in it...just to eliminate the potential of you getting bit by this driver bug.

Or you can do what I did and run hyper-v as your hypervisor and then run a linux based firewall. That get around the driver bugs and everything works perfectly.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by hescominsoon View Post
    That used to be true. in the windows world that holds true as Microsoft provides a bug free driver for the 8257x series...however for Linux the driver situation is precarious as the 8257 series has had a string of issues with it's linux drivers and Intel is NOT going to fix them. the current supported chipset is the I series of nics. I would try disabling your onboard nics and put in something with an I series nic in it...just to eliminate the potential of you getting bit by this driver bug.

Or you can do what I did and run hyper-v as your hypervisor and then run a linux based firewall. That get around the driver bugs and everything works perfectly.

Ah, ok. Sadly, I'm a KVM shop here, but it's good to know. Ordering a nic now.

Quote Originally Posted by anschmid View Post
    Given that he said his upload speed is still "900ish" through Untangle only his download drops to "400 Mbps" shouldn't that remove any hardware limitation issues from the equation?
    Not necessarily,. I have had this exact issue on a system with this series of nice. One side works well and the other does not.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by hescominsoon View Post
    Not necessarily,. I have had this exact issue on a system with this series of nice. One side works well and the other does not.
    Update: I replaced the nic with a newer intel Iseries (model isn't with me at the moment). Download/uploads are now in the 850 range.

It's the nic!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123