Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Prevent client to lose it's dhcp ip address if untangle shutdown

Hello to all forum members ....
    I have this little problem , maybe someone might try to help me.

I run untangle on my QNAP as VM.
    Sometime I need to restart my QNAP (firmware upgrade and/or some other maintenance)

I notice that my windows 10 client (that have a reserved IP assigned by untangle dhcp service) , lose it's IP when untangle shutdown.

Is there a way to prevent this issue ?

Once a machine gets a DHCP lease, its valid until it expires.
    It doesn't matter if the DHCP server is turned off, the client still has the lease.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Don't really undertand your question but I think this might be what you are asking. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-a-dhcp-server

Untangler

Sorry dmorris, I try to explain myself in a better way.

I've got my Windows Client configured to retrieve it's IP by DHCP.
    DHCP service is provided by untangle.

If I power down the "Untangle" VM, after a very quick time (about 2 minutes) my Windows client lose it's IP address and get a zero config IP.

It is an issue related to the dhcp server , to the windows client or it is the way the DHCP service is expected to work ?
    My setup provide a lease duration of 259200 seconds (which I suppose is the standard setup)
    Last edited by candrea77; 05-18-2017 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Additional information

What is your lease time?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Master Untangler

It's a windows problem. Probably wireless.
    Last edited by donhwyo; 05-19-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    What is your lease time?
    How to find it?

Inviato dal mio SM-G920F utilizzando Tapatalk

DHCP lease times are set in Config=>Networking and then edit the interface handling the requests. The default lease time for Windows DHCP servers is 8 days. I'm not sure for linux, but I know it's shorter.

It became popular among certain wifi providers like Cisco to recommend setting lease times to be insanely short... as low as 5 minutes. IMO this is nuts.

In Windows, the behavior is to renew the lease at the half-way point to expiration. So a Windows machine in an environment with a 5 minute dhcp lease time will fail to renew the lease after only 2.5 minutes. That seems similar to what you're experiences.

I recommend increasing your lease to time at least a few hours, if not a whole day. I'd like see a device that gets a lease in the morning not need to renew it during the work day, which for an 8-5 day means at least 18 hours.

But a better question is why your Untangle server is going down so much. Fix that, and you fix your IP problem, too.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 8GB with Untangle 12.2 to protect 200Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    DHCP lease times are set in Config=>Networking and then edit the interface handling the requests. The default lease time for Windows DHCP servers is 8 days. I'm not sure for linux, but I know it's shorter.

It became popular among certain wifi providers like Cisco to recommend setting lease times to be insanely short... as low as 5 minutes. IMO this is nuts.

In Windows, the behavior is to renew the lease at the half-way point to expiration. So a Windows machine in an environment with a 5 minute dhcp lease time will fail to renew the lease after only 2.5 minutes. That seems similar to what you're experiences.

I recommend increasing your lease to time at least a few hours, if not a whole day. I'd like see a device that gets a lease in the morning not need to renew it during the work day, which for an 8-5 day means at least 18 hours.

But a better question is why your Untangle server is going down so much. Fix that, and you fix your IP problem, too.
    Dont want to modify this settings without the gui interface. So is is possibile to know where this settings is located in the gui?

Inviato dal mio SM-G920F utilizzando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by candrea77 View Post
    Dont want to modify this settings without the gui interface. So is is possibile to know where this settings is located in the gui?
    as he said:

Config=>Network and then edit the interface handling the requests.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast