Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IPv6 question

Untanglit

Default IPv6 question

Wondering if any more IPv6 configurations other than static are going to be supported any time soon?

I am seeing more and more situations that IPv6 is needed and most of those can only be set up with DHCPv6-PD.

I would love to run Untangle at home, but no DHCPv6-PD is a show stopper, so I have to run a Ubiquiti router instead. I run untangle at work and several customer sites, and would like to be able to set up IPv6, but all these would need to be DHCPv6-PD because they are all Comcast sites without static addresses.

I could be way off here, but I would think since Untangle and Ubiquiti both have Debian roots it should be doable since Ubiquiti has had DHCPv6-PD for at least the last couple years.

Sorry if this has been covered, but I haven't seen any posts about this recently and have been wondering if it is on the road map.

Thanks!

There's no requirement that DHCP runs on the router or gateway. You can run the DCHCPv6-PD service anywhere you want in your environment. It'll even fit on a raspberry pi if you need to. Yes, directly on Untangle would be better, but there's no reason for this to be a show stopper.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 08-31-2017 at 06:37 AM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 13.1 to protect 700Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

considering many home connections are not ipv6 dhcp based this is a problem.
    Emmanuel Technology Consulting

Untangle Partner
    Former Sophos UTM Partner

You can run the DCHCPv6-PD service anywhere you want in your environment.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    There's no requirement that DHCP runs on the router or gateway. You can run the DCHCPv6-PD service anywhere you want in your environment. It'll even fit on a raspberry pi if you need to. Yes, directly on Untangle would be better, but there's no reason for this to be a show stopper.
    Sounds like an interesting idea, I have a pi I don't use any longer and also a small mikrotik router i could use.

Just not sure where to begin with attempting to get one of those devices to request a /60 from my isp from behind untangle, then how to get those addresses assigned to untangle with out doing it statically. Then if assigned statically it all breaks when the isp changes the prefix.

Additional thought: Most of my customers probably won't be impressed when I tell them I have to sell them an additional piece of hardware because that nice new firewall I sold them can't do IPv6 on its own.

Thanks for the replies.

Untanglit

Bump to hopefully get someone from Untangle to comment on this?

Untangle basically doesn't do v6 right now, it can get addressing done in certain situations but the implementation is far from complete, and most of the UTM modules don't process the traffic.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I would like to thank you for this post. You all saved me a lot of time. I work for a small business and we really want to use IPv6 for all our communications. We have a different reason for wanting IPv6 than most. We are developing IoT software. Of course we have to support IPv4 but that requires the user to run activity through our servers because we can't connect point-to-point (e.g. your cell phone to an in home camera). We can present IPv6 to customers as a better approach for security and privacy reasons (yes, point-to-point IPv6 connections can be very secure). IPv4, NAT and tunnel management takes too much person-time to support and is easy to break.

I evaluated Untangle this weekend and could not get it to work with a dual stack (4/6) connection using Prefix Delegation. I thought I was missing something because even DD-WRT supports that configuration. So sadly I must move on and I do mean sadly. I have been hoping to find a flexible software router with support and avoid the price gouging from the big network hardware players. So far, no luck.

For now we'll keep the community version running for QA purposes on test networks but will pass on internal use. If this ever changes please reply to this thread. I like the business model being used by Untangle. It's a good deal for many but without complete support for IPv6, it's not for us.

Untanglit

I'm going to guess that since no one from Untangle replied to this thread that they aren't really doing much to further IPv6, but that is just a guess.

BigT: You should check out pfSense, they have really good dual stack support, the filtering and what not isn't as nice as Untangle, but from a routing stand point it's pretty good.

IPv6 works. There are no known issues.

We may support dhcpv6 at some point, but its not on the immediate roadmap. Regardless you can still use it to determine your IP and then assign it statically which is what I do.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast