Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default extending layer2 over two building.

curious if their is a way one can extend a layer2 network over two untangle site-to-site vpn?

192.168.1.x -> untanlge -> vpn -> untanlge -> 192.168.1.x

i realize that the gateway on the remote endpoint will be dependent on the vpn being up, but this is to prevent having to undo a lot of configuration across the network. once the migration side of this is completed the other side of the "bridge/tunnel would be going away" any in site on how one can set this up on top of untangle?

i know one can accomplish this with third party vendors but would prefer to keep it all under one mfg.

No, OpenVPN can do it but Untangle's implementation is limited to routing.

My question is, why would you want to? Pushing your broadcast domain over a WAN link is generally a great way to have terrible performance. Separate your network, route the traffic that needs routed, and configure DNS to support it all. You'll have a much happier network when you're done.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

main reasoning for this is to do a seamless migration from one building to another. once the migration is done the gateway on the remote endpoint would then get the old endpoints gate way and the tunnel is going away.

that said im well aware of the broadcast domain over wan and thus why i said the bridge/tunnel would be going away.

How far apart are the buildings? Are we talking across the country, across town, or across the street? Each of those scenarios has different options available to you.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.4.1 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untangler

building are across town with no line of sight.
    fyi bandwidth betwen buildings is 250mb both ways.
    latency ~ 3ms

3ms across town is pretty good

How far across town is this? If "across town" refers to a major city, that's one thing, but if it's smaller town you may still have options. It sounds like a wireless bridge is out, or least beyond what a single, simple bridge pair can do, but you might still be able to lease an mpls, sd-wan, or even dedicated fiber link for less cost than you might think.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.4.1 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

I'd still route it and take advantage of the move to renumber, I don't have a single network that couldn't use a good renumber.
    NexgenAppliances.com

It the past I have just ordered a lease line Ethernet from the ISP for this type of network. Today, I would just split the two buildings into two networks with IPsec / OpenVPN between them with shared DNS server.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

this network already is on a 10.x ip scheme and every device is set static ... so renumbering is pretty pointless in this particular case. The across town in this case is ~ 15 miles. A mpls/elan/sdwan for a 2 week project is totally pointless. i ended up came across softether and was able to bridge the network in software so i can keep the ip address scheme in place for the two week project (they want to keep people online while they move stuff around(some are remote))... any ways thanks for the information on letting me know untangle will not support it helped me along the way.

All static... wow... I haven't managed such a thing in decades. I didn't know there were people out there crazy enough to still be doing that!
    abailey likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast