Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by mozerd View Post
    Untangle's Bugzilla filled.

Bug 5946 – Wake on LAN
    Did you try the steps I outlined?
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

I have not as yet tried the steps you have outlined -- at some point this week I'll spend some more time on this.

2 points:
    1. For a Subnet Directed Broadcasts via the Internet I do understand the need to do port forwarding
    2. For LAN Directed Broadcasts I do not understand the need to do port forwarding unless circumstances require access restrictions.

I want to use WOL inside a LAN and yes the LAN is subnetted where subnetX and subnetY are allowed to communicate with each other. Under Untangle in this scenario WOL packets do not get through.

For WOL broadcasts I happen to use 2 tools:

1.. Wake-on-Lan authored by Depicus - Software Solutions
    2.. SolarWinds Free Tool: Wake-On-LAN

You need to be a little more verbose.

Are you saying you have two IP subnets (ie, 192.168.10.0/24 and 192.168.50.0/24) both connected to your internal interface and you'd like to have the untangle forward the directed broadcast packet between them?

I did a little more research on this topic, and it looks like it's not going to work in either scenario, from outside, or from inside. The Linux kernel doesn't forward directed broadcasts and iptables won't accept a DNAT (port forward) to a broadcast address.

Your solutions are either some sort of udp proxy/forwarder, or to run the WOL software on the linux box. It looks like a tool wakeonlan should be included on the box. (I'm not in the office right now so I can't confirm this).

I will discuss this with the software engineers during the bug review meeting.
    Last edited by mrunkel; 02-09-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: stupid contraction mistake
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

The WOL stuff is being conducted in a Test environment mimicking stuff used in some of my larger clients. Prior to deployment to prospective clients I want to make sure that everything works the way I expect it too for some typical scenarios.

The current Untangle router Test bed is as follows:
    Cable Modem --> Untangle with 4 NIC's

NIC1 --- to Cable modem [External]
    NIC2 -- LAN Switch [subnet 192.168.10.0/24] [Internal]
    NIC3 -- WLAN switch [subnet 192.168.5.0/24] [Internal]
    NIC4 -- DMZ switch [subnet 192.168.3.0/24] [Internal]

WOL to be launched from a WLAN host [with admin privilege] to wakup a host on the LAN subnet.

FYI, WOL works on every business class router [firewall appliance] I've used: i.e. CISCO, ZyWALL, DrayTek.
    Last edited by mozerd; 02-09-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: more info

Here's how to install the wake on lan client on the untangle unit itself:

Code:
    wget http://archive.debian.org/debian/pool/main/w/wakeonlan/wakeonlan_0.41-2_all.deb
    dpkg I wakeonlan_0.41.-2_all.deb
    You can then wake up machines inside the network with:

Code:
    wakeonlan <mac address>
    If you have multiple NICs, you may need to specify the broadcast address for that subnet. ie: 192.168.1.255.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:

For anyone following this thread the following has a typo
    dpkg –I wakeonlan_0.41.-2_all.deb
    it should look like the following:
    dpkg –i wakeonlan_0.41-2_all.deb
    Last edited by mozerd; 02-11-2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: typo correction

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    You can then wake up machines inside the network with:
    Code:
    wakeonlan <mac address>
    If you have multiple NICs, you may need to specify the broadcast address for that subnet. ie: 192.168.1.255.
    Tried this and it does not work.

Using SecureCRT Terminal session:
    [1] wakeonlan <mac address>
    and
    [2] wakeonlan <mac address> <broadcast address>

Observation:
    [1] Sending magic packet to 255.255.255.255:9 with <mac address>
    check remote host -- dead-in-the-water.

[2] sends magic packet on port 9 to <mac address> <192.168.10.255>
    returns error
    Sending magic packet to 255.255.255.255:9 with <mac address>
    Invalid hardware address: 192.168.10.255

OK I solved the WOL error condition as follows:

wakeonlan -i 192.168.10.255 <mac address>
    This works and is a very nice solution.

I did not use wakeonlan_0.41.-2_all.deb ... instead I used wakeonlan_0.41-6_all.deb

which can be gotten at the following link:

Thank to mrunkel for pointing us in the right direction.

For those interested the correct syntax to issue the command via a terminal session is:

wakeonlan -i <subnet broadcast address> <mac address>
    Last edited by mozerd; 02-11-2009 at 09:30 PM. Reason: more info

UPDATE: for Untangle 6.1 users

WOL work just great. To get WOL to work all you have to do is open a terminal session and issue the following directive:
    apt-get install wakeonlan

This directive gets the latest version of the applications and installs it for you auto-magically.

I just love apt-get install !!!
    morrison2318 and gooyboy like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12