Master Untangler

Default Limit internet but no email

Hi and happy new year !!

I need to block internet for a computer in the network but the same computer is allowed to use email (that customer is using an external exchange server).
    How can I do that ??
    I tried by creating some rule but I m not going anywhere...
    That Untangle is fully licensed (full package)

Thanks !!

Untanglit

I'm new to Untangle but I believe the best way (I could be totally wrong) would be to go into Policy Manager, create a policy called "Email Only", Assign the machine/user to that Policy. Then through rules limit the traffic. You could probably just install the firewall app and allow outbound to port 25 for SMTP to the specific IP of your exchange server and block everything else.

Or you could use Application Control and block all applications except SMTP.

Port 25 is only for delivery to email servers. If the user is retrieving email, they will need ports 993 or 995 for IMAP or POP3. Also 587 or 465 for outgoing SMTP TLS.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

thanks guys, I ll give it a try.

on a side note: I subscribed to get an email every time someone replies to the thread, but I didn't got anything (nor in spam/junk)

External exchange means Outlook, Outlook uses TCP 443 to connect to the Exchange server... which means if you want to wall off the world but allow connectivity to Office 365, GOOD LUCK.

If they have their own exchange, then you can simply use a policy to push that user into a rack with every web filter category blocked, and stuff in a bypass rule for everything destined to the Exchange server's IP address.

Beware, that'll nuke Windows update too. I think there's a category for that, but it's midnight and my brain isn't working all that well.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 01-03-2018 at 11:46 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com