Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by rmohsen View Post
    i have zero networking knowledge and i couldn't figure this out on my own , appreciate any help...
    <samwearinghiseducatorhat>Understanding networking is nontrivial stuff. Keep asking questions, even when you don't know enough to ask the right questions. That's a very good way to learn. </samwearinghiseducatorhat>

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    <samwearinghiseducatorhat>Understanding networking is nontrivial stuff. Keep asking questions, even when you don't know enough to ask the right questions. That's a very good way to learn. </samwearinghiseducatorhat>
    this is exactly how I learnt almost everything I know now

Thanks again everyone , actually I didn't know that I can change my ISP router to bridge mode , I didn't see this in the router menu anywhere , maybe they disabled the option , it's an HG531 V1 Vodafone router , if you think it can be done let me know , if not then I guess I'll have to change the router itself to an unlocked one to be able to put it in bridge mode which doesn't sound hard now after you explained .

@drewstreib Just got my Unifi a month ago and I'm very happy with it so far , share your project once done

You can setup a DMZ if you can't switch your router into bridge mode. Then with untangle in router mode, set the gateway with the ip address you setup as the DMZ.

It will mean you'll double NAT which can cause issues, but I've not had any and I use VPNs etc.

*Dons flame suit for the suggestion of double NAT

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFlyer View Post
    You can setup a DMZ if you can't switch your router into bridge mode. Then with untangle in router mode, set the gateway with the ip address you setup as the DMZ.

It will mean you'll double NAT which can cause issues, but I've not had any and I use VPNs etc.

Thank you DarkFly , Iíll try this out when Iím back home . My first time to try our DMZ. Hope I can make it work

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFlyer View Post

No need to double NAT, just uncheck the NAT box on External... but there are two very large issues with your suggestion:

1.) This configuration is not only horrible, but it's horribly advanced and the OP has already suggested he's new to networks.
    2.) Double NAT is never OK, there's always a better way. Turn off NAT, and setup a static route on the border device to push traffic to the IP network inside Untangle. Boom, two routers, one NAT enabled, one not. Problems all solved right? Not so much, again horribly advanced configuration.

You don't need a flame suit to protect yourself from suggesting double NAT, you need level 4 Kevlar and pray someone doesn't have a high powered rifle and good aim. It's simply never an option, never a good idea, ESPECIALLY in a home... as soon as a game console comes online... splat.

Finally, that's not what a DMZ is, and not how one works.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 01-15-2018 at 01:51 AM.
    dollopofdaisey likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12