Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newbie Question - Networking setup as DHCP server / Router

Hello

i'm new to untangle , just got my untangle home up and running , my network setup is simple

ASDL Router > untangle > internal network , The only way i got my internet working is for Untangle internal interface in bridged mode so now my ADSL router is giving all the DHCP IPs , what i want to do is have my internal network range different than my ADSL router range . sorry if i can't explain this well

my router's ip ( gateway )is ( 192.168.11.1 )
    untangle external - 192.168.11.3
    untangle internal - bridged

what i want is

my router's ip to be ( 192.168.1.1 ) and i still can access it from my internal network

i have zero networking knowledge and i couldn't figure this out on my own , appreciate any help , i want Untangle to handle my DHCP , DNS and to be able to access the router IP when i change it's range to 192.168.1.*

question sounds stupid but it's driving me crazy

Thanks
    Rami

Yeah... just don't. It's working leave it alone. Changing that address means rebuilding your entire network, and when you're done you'll just have future issues connecting to your work place via VPN.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Who is your ISP? Are you in the US? I have a couple customers on Verizon DSL and I was able to accomplish what you want. Whatbis the make and model of your gateway?

If I understand your question correctly the issue you will have is that your ISP ADSL router and the untangle NG are going to try and use the same IP address of 192.168.1.1 and that is not going to work!

I was frustrated as well my first week, but I got used to my LAN devices being on the 192.168.11.0 network. As stated above I too would recommend leaving is at default, especially without having any network knowledge.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by rmohsen View Post
    The only way i got my internet working is for Untangle internal interface in bridged mode
    i want Untangle to handle my DHCP , DNS and to be able to access the router IP when i change it's range to 192.168.1.*
    In bridged mode, Untangle isn't doing the actual network routing, nor will it be acting as DNS, DHCP, etc.

From https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...sparent_Bridge

"In Transparent Bridge mode, Untangle is installed behind an existing firewall and sits between your existing firewall and main switch. When in Bridge mode Untangle is transparent, meaning you won't need to change the default gateway of the computers on your network or the routes on your firewall - just put the Untangle between your firewall and main switch and that's it. You do not change the configuration of existing clients or the existing firewall!"

If you want to do things like DHCP on Untangle, you'll have to be in a mode where it is acting as a router (not bridge mode). This does mean some new network configuration, and you're going to run into potential issues with your current setup in that you'll be "Double NAT'd", since you already have an existing router, unless you're able to get that out of the picture or put *it* in bridge mode.

There are some networking concepts that you'll have to get familiar with in these cases. If you're not very familiar with networking, then bridge mode (as you have it now) may be a bit easier and might give some visibility without having to reconfigure your network. Is there a particular reason why you want to have Untangle doing these additional functions? What would you like to get out of it and maybe this can be done just fine in bridge mode.
    Last edited by drewstreib; 01-12-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Is the ADSL router handling your wifi, or is there another device for that? Do you have access to the user interface for the ADSL?
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 13.1 to protect 700Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Thank you everyone for your prompt replies , I'll answer a couple of questions and maybe explain more

I'm from Cairo , Egypt , my ADSL provider is Vodafone using a Huwaei Router ( and yes I can access the router page and settings , DHCP , DNS , NAT and everything)

My problem is with the current configurations ( Bridge mode ) all my network devices are visible on the router connected equipment page which my ISP can clearly see the devices and I wanted to have 2 separate ranges .

One from my ADSL Router to Untangle ( 192.168.1.* )
    the other is from Untangle to my devices ( 192.168.11.* ) so they are not visible on the router page

I'm not so good with networks no , but I'm willing to reconfigure my network since it's a small one ( 2 PCS and one Nvidia Shield ) and the other devices are all WiFi

Yes my router does have WiFi but I don't use it, I use a Ubiquiti UniFi AC LR access point to handle my WiFi devices

Attached my current configuration
    Last edited by rmohsen; 01-12-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Then you've asked the incorrect question. You aren't trying to change the IP address of your router, you're trying to get it into bridge mode, then Untangle will have to be reconfigured as a router. That's not a hard process, but it's not easy either.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I figured you had something kinda like that.

As sky-night said, what you want to do is get your ISP router into bridge mode and setup Untangle for router mode.

The goal is for Untangle's EXTERNAL interface to show a public routable IP address direct from your ISP. Anything that starts with 192.168, 10, or 172.12-16 is wrong here. The ISP router should not be doing any NAT or DHCP. This will temporarily break your network... but that's where Untangle comes in. With the ISP modem in bridge mode, you can set Untangle's internal interface for any private IP you want. Then set Untangle to do your NAT and DHCP, and you're back in business. You may need to connect a monitor and keyboard/mouse directly to the Untangle machine during this process, because other devices won't yet know how to talk to it.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 13.1 to protect 700Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Quote Originally Posted by rmohsen View Post
    Yes my router does have WiFi but I don't use it, I use a Ubiquiti UniFi AC LR access point to handle my WiFi devices
    On a side note, nice to see other wifi Ubiquiti/Unifi users around. I was thinking about playing around with doing some queries of the Unifi controller to get wifi device data to populate the Untangle devices table with some additional info, but that's a project for another day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast