Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default determine what machine is downloading

Today, I had a device download large amounts of data. I tried using untangle to determine what was being downloaded but could not figure it out. After about 5 minutes, I just shut the machine off.

Can someone tell me how to use the reports to determine what was being downloaded?
    Thank you.

just click on "Sessions" at the top of the page and sort by download rate

if you really want to look in reports specifically you can look at the many pre-made reports around bandwidth usage for example reports > bandwidth control > top hostnames usage

if you are turning your Untangle off and your network is still online, then it isn't installed correctly and won't show you anything meaningful because it isn't in-line.
    Last edited by dmorris; 01-16-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

I should have clarified - I turned off the machine that was utilizing all the bandwidth.
    I kept untangle running the whole time.
    I have since created a rule to turn internet off to that machine if needed in the future.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    just click on "Sessions" at the top of the page and sort by download rate

if you really want to look in reports specifically you can look at the many pre-made reports around bandwidth usage for example reports > bandwidth control > top hostnames usage

if you are turning your Untangle off and your network is still online, then it isn't installed correctly and won't show you anything meaningful because it isn't in-line.
    So the report showing top hostnames lists the devices with % of use. How do I scrutinize a single machine and see what was utilizing all the bandwidth?

Quote Originally Posted by t2clej View Post
    So the report showing top hostnames lists the devices with % of use. How do I scrutinize a single machine and see what was utilizing all the bandwidth?
    The absolute best way to get at this is what @dmorris said. Sessions page. Filter by hostname or host IP (either is fine). And just sort by total bandwidth. Easy and fast. You can drill into the details of any session that is eating up bandwidth.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by drewstreib; 01-16-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by drewstreib View Post
    The absolute best way to get at this is what @dmorris said. Sessions page. Filter by hostname or host IP (either is fine). And just sort by total bandwidth. Easy and fast. You can drill into the details of any session that is eating up bandwidth.
    Perfect. I will try that.
    What client vs server - is server inbound (downloading)?
    Appreciate your help.
    Last edited by t2clej; 01-16-2018 at 06:47 PM.

You can scrutinize a single machine by adding a condition at the bottom to view only the reports for that specific machine.
    for example client address = 192.168.1.100
    and then look at the reports (for example application control > top application usage) to see whatever you want but only for that specific client.

if you go to 'top clients' you can also click 'view data' and click the little funnel and it will add the condition for you.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    You can scrutinize a single machine by adding a condition at the bottom to view only the reports for that specific machine.
    for example client address = 192.168.1.100
    and then look at the reports (for example application control > top application usage) to see whatever you want but only for that specific client.

if you go to 'top clients' you can also click 'view data' and click the little funnel and it will add the condition for you.
    Very helpful.
    So GOOGDOCS is the offending application. I'm not sure why. The only google product I have on that machine is google photos - which should only be uploading photos, NOT downloading. More investigation is needed I think...

What client vs server - is server inbound (downloading)?
    Server is inbound.

Client is the initiator of the session
    Server is the recipient

Server KB/s is the byte rate sent by the server

none of this has anything to do with a human's concept of inbound nor outbound

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast