Untanglit

Default Interesting Situation

Tuesday morning we had a brown out at the house, the end result was my Untangle server not able to reconnect to the modem WAN...no amount of reboots, power downs, unplugs, etc would get me a WAN IP for Untangle while the modem was in bridge mode.

Seems (according to others in a different group), the modem still has the untangle WAN port MAC address in it's dhcp lease, which doesnt expire for another few (3) days. I called Comcast but they claimed they couldnt release the lease.

Desperate for internet access, I took the Xfinity modem out of bridge mode last night, reinstalled Untangle on the dell r310 server, and I get an IP of 10.0.0.160 on what Ive identified eth0 to be...cool. So I get the address there, click next and select transparent option in the setup wizard....all good, dashboard loads up and I am now showing 10.0.0.160 as the external IP with "is WAN" checked, and addressed. The internal inteface, is also showing addressed, and is showing an IP range of 192.168.2.1/24, which is what it has given all devices in my home.

End result is I now have internet access, but the modem/router doesnt see any devices but Untangle connected to it, and it seems near impossible to set up services that will actually work at this point.

so back to my question as a result of this issue, what can I do to get the Xfinity modem in bridge mode to give the Untangle eth0 an actual WAN IP address? do I wait out the 3 days for the modem dhcp lease to expire? do I spoof the mac of Untangle eth0 on say my macbook, and try to release the lease there? do I buy another NIC, and reinstall Untangle on the server for the umpteenth time?

Any help is appreciated.

I have Comcast at home, the trick to get a new IP address from the modem when in the modem is in bridge mode, is to power cycle the modem. This means unplug it and remove the backup battery in the base of the modem. Unplugging it alone does nothing.

With standard mode on the Comcast modem, the internal wireless is turned on so that might explain no devices shown on the Untangle.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

mind you, I've spent hours on the phone with both them and Untangle live support combined, not doubting you, but you are saying to simply pull the plug out of the back, unscrew the bottom and pull the battery out, then put it all back in and power up and I should be good to go?

Also in re-reading my OP, I just realized I left out the fact that I took the old modem back to Comcast and got a new one, which resulted in a different IP on the modem....used to be 69.143..., now its 73.144...

Quote Originally Posted by bigverm23 View Post
    you are saying to simply pull the plug out of the back, unscrew the bottom and pull the battery out, then put it all back in and power up and I should be good to go?
    Keep the battery out for at least one minute. Yep, I do it all the time to test DynDNS. As with any ISP equipment, YMMV.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Keep the battery out for at least one minute. Yep, I do it all the time to test DynDNS. As with any ISP equipment, YMMV.
    alright will give that a go tonight, so the router is NOT in bridge mode currently, would you recommend I put it into Bridge mode first, then power down, pull the plug/battery, wait 1 min and power back up (while leaving Untangle powered on?)

That is correct.

Untanglit

That is correct.
    roger that, will report back

Untanglit

That is correct.
    Yeah,...no battery in the modem...

You'll only have a battery if the modem is also doing phones.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Keep the battery out for at least one minute