Untangle Ninja

Default Buffer bloat? Tunnel VPN

I am running 14.0.0.20180708T220812.a149ea738a-1stretch. I am using Fair/Flow Queueing + Codel (fq_codel). All seems fine, dslreports speed test shows mostly A for buffer bloat. Steaming tv does not lag during a speed test.

I enabled tunnel vpn and set it up. Assigned the tv to this vpn. Under normal usage all is fine. Running a speed test shows normal scores. The tv lags or buffers during the test. It seems to happen during the upload part of the test. That could be misleading because the tv has some buffering.

Thanks

VPN is always going to increase lag over non-encrypted traffic. Boxes at both end of the VPN are re-packaging the packets into new ones. That is overhead no matter how small.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangle Ninja

After a little more testing. Dropping the long tested 85% upload speed to 80% seems to have it working ok. Is that overhead? Or is it the tunnel not in the fair que?

Untanglit

a VPN is always going to add significant packet overhead. and 20% doesn't sound unreasonable.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by cdmarshall View Post
    a VPN is always going to add significant packet overhead. and 20% doesn't sound unreasonable.
    Well it can get better. http://blog.cerowrt.org/post/wireguard/ So I hope they haven't given up yet.

Hopefully they are already working on this. https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Cake/

Untangle Ninja

I see openwrt 18.06 now has cake support. Maybe the devs can look at that.