Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    They probably did, that's why major new releases take months to roll out. Anyone suffering from this bug, have you selected the new kernel yet? Because if you're still on the old kernel, that's a reboot and see... it might just break it loose.
    Hopefully they have by now. But as of yesterday morning, I was told they were discussing pausing the roll-out. I'm sure they'll get this resolved, and hopefully quickly.

I love the ability to filter the dashboard in v14. Finally a very fast way to see what *ALL* the apps have done with a given network client in a single very quick view. I believe it will make troubleshooting broken websites, etc. a much quicker process.

Master Untangler

The new kernel can only be selected at boot time (and no way to do it from the post-boot GUI), right? I won't be doing that any time soon since I have no keyboard/monitor on the untangle appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    The new kernel can only be selected at boot time (and no way to do it from the post-boot GUI), right? I won't be doing that any time soon since I have no keyboard/monitor on the untangle appliance.
    I believe Untangle tech support have said they can remotely make this change for us if desired / needed.

However this issue is not caused by the new kernel. These boxes are still booting the old kernel, as that is the default behavior for anything upgraded to v14. The new kernel is only used by default on clean new installs, but not upgrades.

The issue may be the OS or something else in the v14 code. My hunch is it's the OS, as there are probably more changes there than the Untangle code changes.
    JasonJoel likes this.

They can, and there is a way to do this via the command line but for the life of me I cannot recall how. I can see the file that needs changed manually, but trust me when I tell you you don't want to be making that edit. Unless you like trying to type in GUID's manually...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

In your case of the parent and the bridge to the same parent, the broadcast is not separate and are basically on the same logical network. So it's not a test case I would normally have. Either way, thanks for detailing your setup. I did find issues with this setup on 13.2 but there is a more severe issue on v14 with the 3.16 kernel (same as v13.2). I'm not seeing this issue with v14 and Kernel: 4.9.0-6-untangle-amd64

https://jira.untangle.com/browse/NGFW-12011
    JasonJoel likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    In your case of the parent and the bridge to the same parent, the broadcast is not separate and are basically on the same logical network.
    https://jira.untangle.com/browse/NGFW-12011
    Interesting. Why are they not separate? Is this special (possibly unintended) behavior specifically to Untangle? Because technically an interface with a tagged vlan is a completely different logical layer 2 interface as the same interface with no vlan tagging.

Generally speaking, at Layer 2 we'd refer to this a collision domains, and at Layer 3 as broadcast domains. But in practicality I think we're referring to the same thing regardless of layer (although the collision domain term is more traditionally referring to micrsegmentation of switching, vs the broadcast nature of hubs).

In any case, are you saying this is something only applicable with broadcast frames (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF)? Or are you saying this applies to all Ethernet frames? If so, that does not appear to be 802.1q compliant behavior to me. But I may be misunderstanding you.

Thanks.

Think of this as two physical NICs. If two NICs are bridged, then the broadcast is sent across both of them. Basically how a network hub works.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Think of this as two physical NICs. If two NICs are bridged, then the broadcast is sent across both of them. Basically how a network hub works.
    Yes. I am with you there. I would say that's the whole point in NGFW bridge interfaces. The main important area to be cautious of is loop avoidance. We have done this being careful to ensure no layer 2 loops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having the same issue after an overnight upgrade last night to v14.

There are no open VLAN issues in v14. If you an issue, open a support ticket if you have a support subscription. Otherwise detail your issue, preferably in a new thread.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast