Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Is the camera IP static or DHCP? If DHCP what is the DHCP server in your network?
    All IP cams have a static IP by using a static address in DHCP (so not in the cam itself).
    Untangle is the DHCP server in my network.

But for some reason the device never showed up in the 'Current DHCP Leases' section of the DHCP server. Something that has bothered me for a longer time.

But today I installed the latest firmware on the non-syncing twin IP cam and suddenly the mac adress vendor changed from Zhejiang Dahua Technology to Sichuan iLink Technology , a new MAC adress was provided (which I had to add into the static IP section in the DHCP table to provide the cam with the original fixed IP adress) and...TADA!....the device showed up in the 'Current DHCP Leases' section after a reboot.
    Re-setting the DNS setting in the IPCAM from the ISP DNS to the default gateway address…and now….. NTP syncing seems to be working for this specific IP cam.
    Very nice but I have no clue on the reason why it suddenly works.

For two other (less well known branded) IPcams I am still looking at blocked DNS requests and no time syncing.
    I'll start diving into the other DNS reroute suggestions for these two cams.

Master Untangler

I think DNS redirection is a good/best practice in all cases (right now). For example, Google devices also love to make themselves hard wired to Google's DNS, too (for obvious tracking and data collection/analytics reasons)...

At least until devices start supporting encrypted DNS, you can safely redirect pretty much all/any device to the DNS server *you* choose (1.1.1.1, opendns, other), with no impact or loss of functionality.

Untangler

In my case the IPcams seem to be reaching out to my ISP provided DNS. So they must have gotten this from Untangle via DHCP. Not hardcoded.
    In both Untangle interfaces/NIC configuration no DNS overwrite is set and the WAN (DNS) settings cannot be changed.

So where should I set the DNS that Untangle uses for outgoing traffic and where should I set the DNS that Untangle provides it clients? (in your setup its own gateway address if I am right)
    Tnx for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by homenetwork View Post
    So where should I set the DNS that Untangle uses for outgoing traffic and where should I set the DNS that Untangle provides it clients? (in your setup its own gateway address if I am right)
    Tnx for your help!
    By default Untangle UT will provide DHCP clients with DNS setting of the Internal IP of the Untangle. So your behavior is NOT default. I would post screen captures of your Internal Interface and the DHCP server settings for that interface.
    JasonJoel likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by homenetwork View Post
    In my case the IPcams seem to be reaching out to my ISP provided DNS. So they must have gotten this from Untangle via DHCP. Not hardcoded.
    In both Untangle interfaces/NIC configuration no DNS overwrite is set and the WAN (DNS) settings cannot be changed.

Tnx for your help!
    By default Untangle uses the IP addresses on its WAN interfaces for DNS resolution, it hands out its own internal IP address to DHCP clients for them to use. So queries come to Untangle's resolver, which then go to the ISP. If you're seeing traffic going directly to your ISP DNS, something else is going on.
    JasonJoel likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

RESOLVED!

For both IPCAMs I changed the DNS setting from manual to 'automated via DHCP' and rebooted both devices.
    Eventhough in both IPCAMS it showed the Untangle internal IP address before and after I changed it, now the timesync seems to work!
    As far as I can see nothing has changed but apparently under the hood something has changed.
    NTP issue solved for all 6 IPCAMS!

But by setting the DNS right (and fixing the NTP issue) I gave the 2 'cheap' IPCAMS their path to Internet, resulting in a a flood of blocked request to all sorts of ip-adresses on port 32100.

IPCAM blocked.JPG

Nice to see that Untangle effectively blocks all these requests.
    That was exactly what I bought Untangle for!
    JasonJoel likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12