Untanglit

Default Network Monitoring Tool Suggestions

Untangle appliance installed at a school as router. Typically 150 devices max are connected at once with approximately 1000 sessions. We receive complaints that the "internet" stops working randomly throughout the day. The Untangle Router, switches, wired access points are all new. We even had ISP replace the modem. I am having a tough time determining if it's traffic internally or on WAN/External side of Untangle router.....especially since not on site during peak usage hours. Just turned on QOS in hopes of resolving.

Does anyone have any suggestions on tools that could be installed (i.e. netowork monitoring tools or specific Untangle reports that can be looked at to help determine random "outage"

I would suggest first isolating the issue:
    https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...ternet_is_Down

Instead of "stops working" - what are people seeing? What is the symptom of the issue? Is it slowness? Are they seeing some error? If they are "offline" - what do they see with their eyes that leads them to the conclusion that they are offline?

Once you've done some isolation the problem may be more solvable.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Their browser will display a message that the internet is not connected.

When I am alerted, I will typically take a look at the router by logging in remotely through https and I have been disconnected from the Untangle admin portal for a brief amount of time after successfully logging in.

That's why I am asking, because I have been battling this for a bit now and I can't pin point why the random disconnects happen. I was hoping a good monitoring tool might help me pin point problematic devices or bandwidth usage bottlenecks.

To combat, I did turn on QOS today.

"internet is not connected."
    I can guarantee it says more than that. It will usually say something like DNS fails to resolve or it failed to connect to the remote site.
    The actual words are important.
    If thats really all it says try another browser like chrome.

I would try the steps in the article above.
    Can you ping 8.8.8.8? etc

(I don't think QoS will help if its either DNS or TCP connectivity)

I would also check some basics like that you aren't doing NAT behind Untangle, and there is no ASA or device doing limiting on the network.

Last edited by dmorris; 11-07-2018 at 10:40 AM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untanglit

The message they are relaying to me is a message in the browser which varies by chrome, firefox, IE. I will ask them to take picture of exactly what they are seeing.

Yes, I can ping 8.8.8.8 right now. It is set as secondary DNS on the External NIC

I read the linked article, I wish I could perform all the tests suggested, but I am offsite and If I can't login externally, I can't perform the Untangle Server or the Client troubleshooting until I gain access remotely, which kind of defeats the purpose of troubleshooting when all is working as expected.

As for the tests externally, when they are having issues, I cannot connect to the admin login page, but it eventually resolves itself and I can gain access after about a minute or 2. Also, I have respond to ping disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore2612 View Post
    As for the tests externally, when they are having issues, I cannot connect to the admin login page, but it eventually resolves itself and I can gain access after about a minute or 2. Also, I have respond to ping disabled.
    Thats good data!
    I would enable ping for now. Can you ping it from outside? Can you ping Untangle's gateway?

If you can't reach Untangle from outside, its likely offline entirely (which means everyone else will be offline).

(Is this in a VM?)

Untanglit

I'll enable ping so that next time I can't hit web admin page, I'll be able to test pinging. That would be interesting if I was able to ping but not reach web admin. We shall find out.

No, not a VM. This is a physical machine. CPU Count = 2, Intel Core 2 DUO E7200 @2.53GHz, 4 GB Memory, Disk = 300 GB

I'll report back next time I have an issue with connectivity which I hope doesn't happen again …..hahaha

I use uptime robot for this, also you can install the trial for WAN failover if you don't have it. Configure a test for your single WAN and the reports when they come back will at least give you some time windows.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I use uptime robot for this, also you can install the trial for WAN failover if you don't have it. Configure a test for your single WAN and the reports when they come back will at least give you some time windows.
    Ah yes, thats a great idea.

Just setup WAN failover to ping 4.2.2.1 or 8.8.8.8 or whatever.
    It won't actually have any effect if you just have one WAN, but it will record results.

Untangler

PRTG free version. Best network monitor. You can monitor all the important parameters including CPU, RAM, Disk, Bandwith, Uptime, Netflow etc in one place.