Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Default DHCP static entries not working

Some of the static mappings I have on my dhcp server aren't working.

Not sure how or where to begin troubleshooting.

Several of the clients who are specifically on the static IP list (left pane) are showing up using addresses from the range the server is supposed to hand out.

Could you post a screenshot of your Static DHCP Setup?
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

Untangler

dhcp.jpg

"staci-pc" and "anastacias-ipad" are the two primary offenders, as you can see from the list.
    Last edited by tucansam; 12-30-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Why are you chopping off MAC addresses? Do you want our help or do you want to feed your own paranoia? There is NOTHING to gain by doing this, just making it darned near impossible for anyone to help you.

In regards to the problem, assuming the MAC addresses actually match, DHCP clients will get whatever IP they ask for. Some DHCP clients will ask for whatever IP they currently have, DNSMasq will not refuse them. If the PC is a Windows PC you should be able to get it to forget the old address with ipconfig /release, and then running ipconfig /renew. For the iPad? You're probably better off deleting the old reservation, and using the current lease to make a new one.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thanks.

I can't use the current lease as the new permanent lease.

I have a VPN, and all hosts use the VPN by default, except for a handful, for which I have created exceptions. I couldn't figure out how to make exceptions by MAC address, so I made them by IP address. The range from which the ipad is getting an address, 150-165, is the range handed out to unknown DHCP clients (guests etc) and are configured to use the VPN.

Thus, the DHCP issue is exacerbating a VPN issue.

Yes, and with DNSMasq, if the device requests an IP address, and a lease for the address in question exists, that address is what's granted to the device. This behavior overrides the reservations made sometimes...

So you might have to shorten your DHCP lease time to say 2 hours, wait for the leases to renew and shorten, and then turn off the iPad for a couple hours for the lease to expire entirely. THEN, turn the iPad back on, and it should get the reserved address. I'm unsure how to force an Apple device to do this. Windows boxes you can force via ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Oh, I just noticed that Staci-PC should have fixed itself last night.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

In the case of iOS, you can renew the lease under the connection details.

EDIT: It's also possible to forget the connection and start from scratch.
    Last edited by Sam Graf; 12-30-2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Added information

Master Untangler

Whenever I reinstall Untangle (because I am too impatient to wait for the automated upgrades) my iDevices will connect and get whatever address is thrown at them. I upload the Untangle config to restore all of my settings ... typically ... my iDevices will typically still have the "thrown" IP. If I power off the Untangle router however and then back on, I believe the universe usually corrects itself after that.

Make sure your static addresses are not in the DHCP assignment pool.
    Untangle 14.1.0 (Build: 14.1.0.20181130) (Kernel: 4.9.0-7-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

There is no reason to have static assignments outside of the lease pool. They are reserved for the device, now there can be some frustration when you reserve an IP that's already assigned to another device. Which is why I just let things have the IP's they already have. In the case of a restore changing reality, a reboot of Untangle and all afflicted devices is the worst possible outcome.

Heck, some DHCP servers won't allow you to reserve outside of the defined scope! (Looking at you MS DHCP)
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast