Untangler

Default My VPN is making me British.

Seriously.

PIA VPN, presently using the East Coast USA servers. In the last few days, I've noticed that, when searching for a product with a search engine, 100% of results come back listing 'amazon.co.uk' first.

Also, doing any sort of speech-to-text on my phone, results in British spellings and words. For example, "what color is the car" becomes "what colour is the car." And "tell mom I say he" is "tell mum I say hi."

Its seriously hilarious, and I want it to stop.

If I turn off the VPN, everything becomes American again.

I am going to email PIA VPN to see what they think, but what do you guys think???

I dont know this service but i use nordvpn and in that i choose the config that i will use in untangle according to the country that i want. This PIA dont have settings?

Untangler

No, at least not as far as anything I've put in. I just select the server I want and upload that config file.

east coast server = British.

west coast server (just configured it) = American.

Whatever IP your VPN is using for the East Cost exit node is listed as a UK IP by the various GeoLocation services out there.

GeoLocation is wildly inexact and imperfect. There's nothing inherent in an IP that tells you where it comes from; it's all just a big database lookup. The static IPs for the college where I work in Nebraska have at various times been listed in Indianapolis, Dallas, and Arkansas, among others. Once upon a time there were various ARIN registries that were more-or-less regional, but with IP exhaustion even many of these addresses have been traded around a bunch and all bets are off.

Even in the Untangle, take the map view on your dashboard with a big grain of salt. About the only IPs you can be sure of the handful assigned to North Korea
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 01-03-2019 at 09:43 PM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 14.1.1 to protect 500Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untangler

Hahaha. Makes sense. Hilarious.

just type whatsmyipaddress in google and see your IP.
    Its likely that you just chose a GB vpn exit point.

I also laugh at this when I forget to turn my off and I visit google news and its all about brexit.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Whats my IP shows a New Jersey server, and has been for about three days now. Still, I changed to a west coast server and I'm back in America again.

Untangler

Ever since I changed my ISP, my IP Address now makes me look like I’m browsing the Internet from a UK Department For Work & Pensions Office.

Very strange, lol

This kind of a thing can be useful when you want to do something like stream an out-of-market NFL game.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 14.1.1 to protect 500Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty