Untangler

Default License Limit Exceeded -- But No Paid Applications In Use

I have an Untangle device I that I am not currently using and loaned it to a friend for evaluation purposes in another very different network. I had been using it on my home network with a home license. I reset the system to a fresh install, disassociated the device from my Untangle account and turned off the recurring subscription fee. The only apps installed at the moment are Reports and OpenVPN -- neither of which requires a paid license. Once he is comfortable with the base system he will consider which apps he may want to license. The device is generating License limit exceeded alerts. Is there some vestige of the prior setup that needs to be removed? What would cause this behavior and how can it be remedied?

How did you "reset" the platform? You should reinstall the platform, only then will it generate a new UID. The licensing system isn't supposed to have stuff on that UID once you move the subscription off but I suspect something got hung up.

The fix is still reinstall it though.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 01-27-2019 at 09:23 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    How did you "reset" the platform? You should reinstall the platform, only then will it generate a new UID. The licensing system isn't supposed to have stuff on that UID once you move the subscription off but I suspect something got hung up.

The fix is still reinstall it though.
    I did a reinstall originally -- although not before I disassociated the device from the account. Are you saying that I should reinstall yet again now that the device is disassociated from the account? I don't understand how I can be getting these alerts given that there are no apps on the device at the moment other than the reporting app and openvpn.

Thanks for your help.

-- Rich

If you did a full reinstall, I'd open a ticket with support, because a fresh UID would have been generated, with no license associated with it.

You said reset, so I was thinking you used the often overlooked reset to factory defaults button on the console, while useful it can cause licensing issues if you're not careful.

And while the free stuff is free, it is still "licensed". Is the console complaining about not being able to communicate with Untangle.com?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

If you did a full reinstall, I'd open a ticket with support, because a fresh UID would have been generated, with no license associated with it.

You said reset, so I was thinking you used the often overlooked reset to factory defaults button on the console, while useful it can cause licensing issues if you're not careful.

And while the free stuff is free, it is still "licensed". Is the console complaining about not being able to communicate with Untangle.com?
    It is not complaining about being able to communicate with untangle.com. It simply generates an alert about license limits being exceeded. Is there a license limit to be mindful of in my case?

Quote Originally Posted by RERobbins View Post
    It is not complaining about being able to communicate with untangle.com. It simply generates an alert about license limits being exceeded. Is there a license limit to be mindful of in my case?
    There must be a paid module installed somewhere, but it doesn't really matter because the enforcement will never turn off a free module.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

There must be a paid module installed somewhere, but it doesn't really matter because the enforcement will never turn off a free module.
    2019-01-27_20-00-27.png

Untangler

Upon further reflection, it is very possible that I did use "the often overlooked reset to factory defaults button" on the console. I really can't be sure now.

Upon further reflection, it is very possible that I did use "the often overlooked reset to factory defaults button" on the console. I really can't be sure now.
    You say you removed the subscription in your Untangle.com account, did you remove the appliance? If you didn't the old UID will still be there and match the current installation. But if you have any suspicion about that process at all, a reinstall is quick, relatively painless, and a sure way to resolve it.
    NexgenAppliances.com

The reset to factory defaults keeps the UID the same. A new UID is generated only on new fresh install.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com