Default VLANs in Hyper-V

Hi all,

I have setup untangle as a router on a Hyper-V'd VM. I have the VLANs working individually (needed promiscuous mode enabled on the VM) but am struggling to get any communication between the VLANs. I cant even ping the untangle address of other VLANs, only the VLAN I am connected to. Does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks in advance.
    Dan

VLANs in a hypervisor arne't easy, you're terminating the VLAN on the hypervisor, when you need to terminate it on Untangle.

OR, you make a vswtich for each VLAN, and create a dedicated virtual interface for Untangle on each vSwitch, and Untangle doesn't ever see the VLAN tags.

You have to fix layer 2, get Untangle pinging everything and traffic will flow.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

perhaps this post and thread will be illuminating?
    Quote Originally Posted by abailey View Post
    Yes if you want the port group to pass all VLAN tags to the guest VM then set the port group VLAN ID to 4095. VMWare calls this Virtual Guest Tagging.

This is how I have Untangle set up, but separate port groups per VLAN work fine also.
    https://forums.untangle.com/networki...tml#post230949

Untangle Ninja

Sorry, happened to come back to this thread and realized I'd posted help for VMWare in a thread asking about Hyper-V. I use VMware so much more than anything else, I sometimes forget that there are indeed other hypervisors out there. It should've been my clue that sky-knight didn't mention the special VMware port group that I know he knows about.

That doesn't make the thread less valid, the same concepts apply, just different implementation details.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    That doesn't make the thread less valid, the same concepts apply, just different implementation details.
    True, but quoting a reply that cites a solution that is specific to VMware, the magic port group ID, that has no direct use in Hyper-V smacks of not paying attention.... which I wasn't apparently!