Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adsl pppoe qos?

Thumbs up Adsl pppoe qos?

Hi all,
    I am a long time pfsense/opnsense (virtualised / proxmox) n a home environment attempting to share a 10/1 mb ADSL service across iptv gaming and lots of kids on youtube / netflix. Approx 30 clients online st most times.

Opnsense is pretty good at running the dsl at 100% utilisation while maintaining a low ping for games. Where it struggles is prioritisation. Pfsense despite its recent fq_codel implementation doesnt cut it.

Bring on untangle. I've used it for a day and really like it.... but I am not 100% sold on its QOS performance.

Bufferbloat via dsl reports returns b or c. Strangely running a background ping it displays zero buffer bloat? Is there something odd with dslreports and untangled.

I am running PPOE as untangle handles auth. My service provider supports PPOA but untangle doesn't. My concern is they hat the docs state QOS doesnt work correctly with PPPOE? Is this why dslreports is displaying terrible bufferbloat?

I will test a little more when the kids are gaming but if any one has a similar setup and or experience to help that would be great.

Thanks! Really hoping untangle works out it's very nice and the flexibility with prioritisation of bandwidth looks amazing.
    Last edited by Joelc; 02-01-2019 at 06:12 AM.

Master Untangler

My buffer bloat speed tests are generally in the A range. Sometimes though it is all over the place.

Once I got my max values for down and upload settings right in QOS that helped a lot and my scores at least are fairly consistent.

I have 40/2 DSL ... well technically paired 20/.9 ... With my download max set to 36 and my upload at 1.6 my scores have been more consistent.
    Untangle14.1.2 (Build: 14.1.2.20190401) (Kernel: 4.9.0-7-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

So how is your gaming doing? have any problems? If bufferbloat is that bad on your ISP side you cant solve it only mitigate it
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

Thanks for the replies.

I've done some testing on my ADSL 10/1 service (syn 12/1.2).

Untangle does a great job controlling bufferbloat on the downstream but it just can't mange it on the upstream.

I am running Untangle on proxmox along with opnsense and pfsense (only running one at a time). Opnsense and pfsense don't have the same issue on the upstream. Opnsense for some reason does an overall better job at managing bufferbloat when I have all the kids online hitting it hard.

Untangle is the leader with bandwidth sharing but that darn upstream bufferbloat it doesn't seem to keep a hold of.

I've had a good look around the settings, tried reducing the upstream bandwidth in untangle but that doesn't help.

Could it be that Untangle is performing the auth / PPPOE? I do recall reading in the manual that QOS doesn't work well with PPPOE.

I will have to do some more testing, just means pulling my ADSL modem out of bridge mode - something for an early sat morning so the missus and kids don't rage at me :P

If you have a spare machine I would try it out that way to rule out VM issues
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

Master Untangler

I experience the same. Downloads usually do well. Uploads it seems to get a hold of sometimes, but mostly, the uploads are bad.
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

FQ_Codel struggles with under 5mb upstream so I've read..

I run 1mb up so its a struggle at best.

I've tested on another PC outside of VM, still poor bloat on upstream with fq_codel (1mb up)

Theoak what are your speeds?

'attempting to share a 10/1 mb ADSL service across iptv gaming and lots of kids on youtube / netflix. Approx 30 clients online st most ['
    Also with that little bandwidth, I can't see that number of clients streaming Netflix and gaming it's unrealistic, especially with that 1Mbps upload divided by 30. Can't you get more bandwidth?

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by theoak View Post
    I have 40/2 DSL ... well technically paired 20/.9 ... With my download max set to 36 and my upload at 1.6 my scores have been more consistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelc View Post
    FQ_Codel struggles with under 5mb upstream so I've read..

I run 1mb up so its a struggle at best.

I've tested on another PC outside of VM, still poor bloat on upstream with fq_codel (1mb up)

Theoak what are your speeds?

Speeds are noted above ...

I SpeedTest at around 36/1.6.
    QOTOM-Q355G4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast