Master Untangler

Default ATT Fiber 1000 (gigapower)

I'm looking at switching my current setup from Spectrum to the AT&T gigapower. I've been reading that there is a possible way of bypassing the residential gateway by using an eapol proxy script.

Basic idea is https://medium.com/@mrtcve/at-t-giga...d-c628f7f458cf

https://github.com/kuwerty/eapolproxy

I'm wondering if there is something similar we can do on our untangle servers?
    Last edited by flynhawaiian; 03-02-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Master Untangler

What does this achieve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master Untangler

It would bypass using their gateway, which apparently has a lot of security issues. Apparently the gateway has a built in certificate on the main chip. Absent knowing what the chip is there's is no way to obtain the actual certificate apparently.
    Last edited by flynhawaiian; 03-02-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Master Untangler

Would their intent not be for you to use their gateway? Is there for a reason. Seems like circumventing it with a hack would pose more issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master Untangler

Apparently people have had success using a Ubiquiti USG and pfsense instead of the gateway. Apparently ATT has blocked basic passthrough mode. I would rather bypass the gateway and utilize the untangle server. Basically I'm wondering if untangle has the capability to do EAPOL proxy.

Master Untangler

I feel like it's a good thing to know what I'm going to get into to decide if I want to make the switch to AT&T. Basically their gateway is a modem.

Suggest you look at this thread as it may have some bearing on what you are looking at doing

https://forums.untangle.com/networki...s-cloning.html

Master Untangler

Wow talk about someone just asking this question. My bad that I didn't catch that one. The stinky part is all of the services require proprietary gear in the gig sector. Spectrum requires their modem or ATT requires their gateway. Seems like in either direction you're required to use their gear. Thanks for posting this other thread!

Untangler

I have AT&T Gigabit fiber. I got the Arris BGW210 router (about 6 months ago). It has an IP passthrough mode. While this is not a full bridge mode, you can disable pretty much all router functions.
    I wouldn't mind getting rid of the box, since it only does link authentication, but I haven't bumped into any issue with having it inline. Of course, you'll find many threads on DSLreports of people having issues or trying to move it out of the way, but I think for most people, it's a choice, not a necessity.
    Last edited by LaurentR; 03-03-2019 at 12:00 AM.

Master Untangler

I was thinking it would be nice to do a bypass and just have a single input rather than dealing with another modem device especially since it has an ethernet connection coming from the ont. Any reduction of devices is always good in my book, but it doesn't seem to work that way in practicality.