Untanglit

Default sanity check on proposed networking solution..

Sanity check on my new propsed network.

I would appreciate critical analysis on my network from those skilled in the art,
    the network is in the planning stage and I an open to suggestions..

here is my situation and what I am planning, sorry for the long post..

I recently moved out of town into a rural setting that has NO incumbent services.
    My family and i ( myself, wife and two married daughters with their families ) are in the process of building three
    houses on the property, this is a 20 acre site with each house approx 750 feet from each other.
    the land is thick with trees and bushes and we cannot see each others properties, even cell phones have a hard time..
    our intent is to have internet service at all sites, as an EE i have no issues installing equipment and cabling.
    I have a paid untangle suscription btw.

for internet, I currently have a cell data service with two modems and it works quite well, but is insufficient for three families.

my proposal to supplement the service is to connect to my brothers house approx 2 miles away ( 99% LOS ) with a PTP wireless link installed at the rear of the property in the open mounted on a 50 Ft tower. I am able to purchase an internet plan and a second modem for the site without issue. ( our services would be exclusive but at the same address )

now for the networking setup..

I will describe this as I don't have any tools to draw pretty pictures.. please bear with me..

Cable modem >> PTP link >> Untangle Wan-1
    Cell Modem 1 >> Untangle Wan-2
    Cell modem 2 >> Untangle Wan-3
    these would be wan balanced and failover for redundancy using Untangle.
    next, Untangle is configured for three VLANS numbered Vlan 100, Vlan 200, Vlan 300. one vlan per house.
    it is a requirement to isolate the lan traffic between houses, this is my solution using vlans and managed switches.
    these lans are connected via managed switches and cabled to each house using Mikrotik lan extenders as required.
    I forsee issues here with double NAT.. but i'm sure a vpn could mitigate that issue.

comments please..

thank you.

Ok, so the PtP link is basically just an internet feed, as those operate on layer 2 it's logically identical to putting a switch between Untangle and the cable modem. So, assuming you have the skill to get that link online, that's fine.

My question mark lies in the VLANs... and those LAN extenders. Why not just use Unifi Air Fiber gear and have all the homes connect to one place using that?

I don't see much that I'd worry about, and you can disable NAT on the Microtik stuff. This just seems overly complicated because you're using Microtik I presume you're familiar with, to the exclusion of Unifi Air Fiber that's designed for this purpose.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

I had intended to use Ubiquity equipment for the PTP link, however due to the tree and bush coverage it would be difficult to have any form of wireless link between houses and the internet "tower".
    that is why my first thought was to trench cat6 from each house to the tower.
    it might be possible to get a wifi link from one of the houses to the tower, but the other two are questionable.
    i will re-survey the site again with this in mind.

thank you.

Well, if you've got the ability to trench it in... there is no substitute for wire. Wireless is great, but I'm also assuming you'd like to sleep, wire just works... always.

But if you have wire, do you need VLANs? That seems to me that each house cable would just feed straight into a dedicated port on Untangle. Also assuming each house has its own switch(s) and WAP(s).
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Well, if you've got the ability to trench it in... there is no substitute for wire. Wireless is great, but I'm also assuming you'd like to sleep, wire just works... always.
    Ummm yeah there is ... fibre.
    The trench is the expensive part. You can get long pre-terminated patch cords fairly cheap, and there is plenty of older generation electronics on the used market.

Fiber-optics won't bring lightning into the houses, and is immune to noise and ground potentials.
    How are you going to get power to the tower?

I don't have a full design in mind, but you should research WISP equipment, rather than Wi-Fi
    This stuff looks neat, but buyer beware, it is a new kid on the block, maybe not proven:
    https://na.baicells.com/why-lte/

Ahh yes, I should have been clear on that because I was actually thinking fiber. Specifically I was thinking about this preterminated, outdoor rated, direct burial, armor included, no conduit requiring magic stuff right here: https://www.lanshack.com/Outdoor-Arm...mbly-C837.aspx

Outdoor copper is actually a bit of a pain, because you need lightning protection on both ends or else... zap!
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Here is a video that was released yesterday or today concerning line of site p2p. Might come in handy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKCYFicd2NI
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Untanglit

After reviewing our requirements and an additional site survey, we have decided to trench in fiber to each house from the tower. the PTP link will utilize Ubiquity equipment. Power to the tower will be trenched in with the fiber from the nearest house.

thank you for your suggestions.
    Jim.Alles likes this.