Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Master Untangler

Just discovered this thread. I too am using UniFi WAPs and cloud key controller behind Untangle. I had simple connected cloud key and given it a DHCP reservation of 192.168.0.102. I had turn assigned each of my UniFi WAPs also their own 192.168.0.x DHCP reservations. However I had not created a static DNS entry of unifi.home.local and 192.168.0.102 (my cloud key).

Everything still appeared to be working OK though I did notice WPA retries and DHCP timeout/failures. Am wondering if perhaps this will at least reduce the DHCP timeout/failures reported by the UniFi controller? Or is this completely unrelated?

Iíve made the change you suggested in my Untangle NGFW but was curious what the benefit is?

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master Untangler

We are also seeing a lot of DHCP timeout issues for wireless clients in the VLAN where Untangle is a DHCP server.

Master Untangler

Iíve since tried setting longer DHCP lease times for clients on my Internal interface and it helped reduce DHCP timeouts considerably. Whereas I have shorter times on my Guest VLAN since guests donít remain on that network very long. I figured this would cleanup/reset available IPs in the Guest range more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by miles267 View Post
    Just discovered this thread. I too am using UniFi WAPs and cloud key controller behind Untangle. I had simple connected cloud key and given it a DHCP reservation of 192.168.0.102. I had turn assigned each of my UniFi WAPs also their own 192.168.0.x DHCP reservations. However I had not created a static DNS entry of unifi.home.local and 192.168.0.102 (my cloud key).

Everything still appeared to be working OK though I did notice WPA retries and DHCP timeout/failures. Am wondering if perhaps this will at least reduce the DHCP timeout/failures reported by the UniFi controller? Or is this completely unrelated?

Iíve made the change you suggested in my Untangle NGFW but was curious what the benefit is?

Thanks again.

A failure to configure a unifi. DNS record basically forces Unifi into magic mode. Magic mode only allows the controller to manage devices in its own layer 2 domain. The DNS record allows your devices to pass through layer 3 divisions to access a controller anywhere.

To put it more simply, not having that record means you didn't RTFM, and you didn't deploy your Unifi gear correctly. Ubiquiti, knowing many people can't or won't RTFM built a work around that allows things to sort of work in some limited circumstances, but will fail at scale. This setting is so important that Unifi routers have a static field to input an IP address of a controller, because they can't use DNS and they aren't configured automatically that's the only way to ensure the device can consistently access a controller.

Layer 2 magic... that's what you're running on if you don't have that DNS record, for me it brings up nightmares about Untangle's re-router idea... not good!

As for the DHCP timeout issues, I'm not sure where to look into that because I've not seen that issue on a single Untangle protected, Unifi enabled network I support. Given that DHCP functions based on broadcast domains, I'm thinking there's a configuration problem in the VLANs somewhere. What I can't explain is why it works at all, if layer 2 is mucked up, you shouldn't get DHCP at all, much less get it slowly.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Well, it's been about a month since the last time I reported but I'm still having issues; even wired clients are having a wonky issue when they are first powered on. Connectivity drops once or twice but then finally stabilizes and I don't have issues after that. I put in a static DNS entry for the UniFi controller but putting in the address doesn't bring it up. I don't know... it's been fun but I think I'm going to pull all of the UniFi gear tonight and possibly reinstall Untangle on a different appliance. It's just not working correctly.

No issues with DHCP though...

Untangler

I concur about the vlan issue. Here is my set up.
    Screenshot (10)_LI.jpg
    This shows the way I set up my vlans.
    Screenshot (9)_LI.jpg
    And this shows my unifi set up with two switches, 3 ap's, and 10 wireless clients of the 20 total clients.
    I hope that you can get it figured out. My family gets very mad at me when things are not working correctly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12