Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangle Ninja

From above .
    Code:
    MOBO: Intel Classic DH61CR Desktop Motherboard - Intel H61 Express Chipset - Socket H2 LGA-1155
    https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...rd-dh61cr.html
    Last edited by donhwyo; 09-27-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Ahh I missed that... PCIe v3 is just barely enough to run a gigbit link on a single channel.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that Rosewill card is biting the OP in the rear, I've never liked Realtek chipsets, and Rosewill isn't known for quality either.

But it should also be noted that the PCIe bus is likely also operating on the line as well, so full gigabit performance isn't likely.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and agree with you on that.

Motherboard Link: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...rd-dh61cr.html

Untangler

I've been looking at adding some more VM hosts and potentially virtualizing Untangle on them based on previous advice from Sky-knight to use VMware for 10G or higher due to NIC support.

I found a great deal on some Dell r620s. They are 10G compatible according to the Dell site. Anything I should consider with this?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Archness View Post
    I've been looking at adding some more VM hosts and potentially virtualizing Untangle on them based on previous advice from Sky-knight to use VMware for 10G or higher due to NIC support.

I found a great deal on some Dell r620s. They are 10G compatible according to the Dell site. Anything I should consider with this?

Thanks!!
    Other than the usual warnings about virtual networking not always being what it seems, and that you want to be sure that resources for Untangle are reserved and / or heavily prioritized because a scheduling delay away from Untangle will slow down your entire network! No... not really. I love virtual Untangle, but it can be a real booger to track down problems sometimes, you get a ton of power, but that comes with a ton more potential to break too.

Oh, and do yourself a favor and stick to Intel branded server grade NICs, your network will thank you later!

And... Make sure vSphere has a dedicated interface for management (No sharing with Untangle!), and if you want to do bridge mode the vSwitches Untangle attaches to need Promiscuous mode.

P.S. Related to your other thread, I'm not totally convinced you have a bus limitation here... my gut wants to blame the Rosewill dual port. So you might simply try another NIC.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 09-27-2019 at 03:14 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    P.S. Related to your other thread, I'm not totally convinced you have a bus limitation here... my gut wants to blame the Rosewill dual port. So you might simply try another NIC.
    Yeah, I do also want to move to 10G for the L3 device as I am doing more things with it.

I double checked the PCI-E spec and it should be fine. I ordered Intel NICs tonight and will try them out next Friday.

Be careful, the hard part here is the lane count. Just because you have an X4 slot doesn't mean it has four of its own lanes to work with. And it's next to impossible to know how many lanes a given main board supports. That's where the dragons live, and why 10gbit requires server grade gear.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Be careful, the hard part here is the lane count. Just because you have an X4 slot doesn't mean it has four of its own lanes to work with. And it's next to impossible to know how many lanes a given main board supports. That's where the dragons live, and why 10gbit requires server grade gear.
    Hence the supermicro board in the other post. I always figured 10G would require upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Archness View Post
    Hence the supermicro board in the other post. I always figured 10G would require upgrades.
    You'll have to forgive me on that one, Supermicro just about put me out of business. I won't use their products any longer as a result.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

What happened?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast