Thread: Wi-Fi Tracking

Default Wi-Fi Tracking

I'll preface my comments stating I don't have an Untangle (UT) appliance configured with a WLAN.
    That said, I'm curious, within UT configured with a wireless access point (WAP), do we have the ability to 'notice' [and log] all the wireless devices (along with rogue AP's) that "appear" (not connected to) within range?
    I'm stunned on wireless device(s), if I turn on its Wi-Fi/Bluetooth radio(s), the number of the broadcast's reviled...
    FWIW, I never turn on the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth radios on my tracker (cellular only)...the risk too high!

"Wi-Fi Hotspot Tracking"
    https://tinyurl.com/y442cm6j
    Last edited by f1assistance; 10-11-2019 at 03:27 AM.
    Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM

Master Untangler

I doubt UT has that capability. In any case, that’s not a core function of a UTM.

Meraki has that solution. You can have Meraki APs do that and connect them to UT for the backend connection to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I doubt UT has that capability. In any case, that’s not a core function of a UTM.

Meraki has that solution. You can have Meraki APs do that and connect them to UT for the backend connection to the internet.
    Huh, nice try, but Cisco is a known collaborator and partner of the Smart Grid acquisition and surveillance platform, and blatantly antithetical to the ideal of a protected domain...voluntary compromise much?
    -------

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by f1assistance View Post
    Huh, nice try, but Cisco is a known collaborator and partner of the Smart Grid acquisition and surveillance platform, and blatantly antithetical to the ideal of a protected domain...voluntary compromise much?
    But aren’t you committing the same wrong by wanting to indiscriminately log nearby WiFi devices?

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    But aren’t you committing the same wrong by wanting to indiscriminately log nearby WiFi devices?
    Can of worms opened...yikes!

First, I would never 'indiscriminately' log, for everything I intend has an exact purpose and need as a custodian of supposedly 'protected' digital assets and is conducive to any continuing Field Level Risk Assessment. We don't know what we don't know!

Second, To ask the question explains an unmindful understanding of your field of risk, and exactly why I personally have such discomfort allowing unmanaged devices along with their unseen communications physically within the 'protected domain'.

Finally, and FWIW, the global surveillance/collection platform I speak, is a threat and misunderstood on so many levels (which you can discover for yourself), is to grasp DARPA's initial intention(s) with its creation of the 'public internet' with all its invented hardwares, softwares, and forced partnerships (e.g., Cisco), allowed and placed without exception for their purposes, not the peoples convenience as sold. We have and are witnessing, in these United States specifically, a criminal 4A abused on a scale unimagined. I simply choose (and suggest) to push back and bring light where possible and attempt NOT to contribute to the success of the lettered cabal who systematically manage the people farm. Whew!
    -------

Untangler

Unifi AP's will trigger a "rogue AP" event if one is found. I attempted to use a netgear extender, and I couldn't connect to it.