Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default Just got z4w and default policy question and web filter

I just got my z4w today. Just ran the set up wizard. Itís firmware has been updated. Home Pro license added to appliance.
    I have a couple questions and a problem.

So. Why is the web filter enabled by default? Iím just curious.
    Why does the web filter block sites better on iPhone then my note 10+? Freebleepstreams.org is blocked correctly on iPhone but is not blocked on my note 10+.
    When trying to go to a site that I know should be blocked the browser says this connection isnít secure. Thereís an advance button or something allowing you to go to the site anyway. When you do then the untangle web filter block page loads as it should.

I need help because no filter Iíve tried except tp-link router filters correctly on my note 10+ without me having to do anything. It just works with tplink. So Iím confused.

I thank you.

I have no experience with z4w or home license but seeing as it is Christmas day and I am have nothing better to do I am reading this.
    Have you looked at SSL inspector? And have you got the untangle root cert installed on the android?
    This might be the wrong direction but maybe it might be somewhere to look.
    f1assistance likes this.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Fred59 View Post
    I have no experience with z4w or home license but seeing as it is Christmas day and I am have nothing better to do I am reading this.
    Have you looked at SSL inspector? And have you got the untangle root cert installed on the android?
    This might be the wrong direction but maybe it might be somewhere to look.
    Hi. Thanks for the reply.

What I’m after is for the filtering to work on android. It’s not like untangle problem but how android does things. Other filters are also not working on android except routers by tplink. Asus uses trend micro. Don’t filter good on android. Better on iOS. Tplink uses the same trend micro but filters correctly on android. So the firmware is doing something different. Someone elsewhere said the udp and something is probably blocked by default on tplink when using the filter and asus isn’t blocking it. But untangle isn’t isn’t working with android either.

I looked in SSL Inspector but don’t see anything weird. I don’t remember what I saw.

What I mean by what I’m after is enable web filter and android is filtered. But that’s not happening. I have to do something somewhere in Untangle and I have no idea what or where. I don’t really have the patience for this. I was hoping it’d just work but it’s not. I’m not saying anything bad about untangle. It’s awesome. I just don’t have patience for this. So I’m going to return it if I can’t figure this out in the next day or so. I guess I need something easier. Untangle is great though. I just last time, don’t have the necessary patience. I’m still going to try a couple things though.

Untangler

Your not going to like this but, you either take the time to learn to use the software and have it do everything you want it too. Or you dont. Ive been using UT for many years now and i still learn stuff all the time. Everything you need to figure it out is reported to you, you just need to take the time to learn it or go search and find it. If you want plug and play and never touch it, then go with your tp-link or asus of whatever makes your world easy. However if you want the worlds best reporting and the ability to do just about anything, then buckle down and learn to use what you have. Its not plug and play and never touch it, but its worth the time it takes to get the understanding you need. If you dont have that inclination, then this isnt going to be for you.
    Sam Graf and f1assistance like this.

I do NOT recommend SSL inspector, that's a path of blood and pain. Even the admins that use it because they must, hate it.

As for the rest, check the advanced tab of Web filter's settings. All of the boxes in the top section should be enabled. Then in the lower section, Block QUIC should be enabled. If you don't block QUICK, any and all things Google (read android) will basically bypass your filter because they aren't using HTTP or HTTPs to get the stuff.

Oh, and if you have the goal of doing content control at all... you'd better do yourself a favor and get rid of this air of impatience, the attitude of I can't, and the idea of I can't do this. Because content controls exists in a state of flux, today your Asus solution might be working, tomorrow I can guarantee it won't. Untangle works today, and it will adapt for tomorrow in the next release.

This game is constantly evolving. And admitting you're always behind and ignorance is basically step one to success here. Ff all of the above seems unreasonable, give up on content control entirely. If you don't, be ready to have a psychotic episode and tear out your own hair.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 12-25-2019 at 07:31 PM.
    f1assistance and Kyawa like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Thanks all. I agree with what everyone has said.
    I feel bad because I don’t want anyone here to be upset at me or think bad of me.
    Maybe I got in over my head here. I don’t know much of anything to be honest. I have been going through a lot in the last few months. So I’m not sure about much of anything. I feel bad too that I don’t really know what I want. Please don’t think bad of me. I wish you all could understand where I’m coming from. I really need friends.

Quote Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
    I feel bad because I don’t want anyone here to be upset at me or think bad of me. Maybe I got in over my head here. I don’t know much of anything to be honest.
    Don't feel bad. It's very possible that you got in over your head. But there are two ways you might have gotten in over your head. One we can help with, one we can't.

We can help with what you don't know. I tried to drop the hint up front when I said that Untangle is a business product. So there is a learning curve, and we can help with that.

We can't help you if you got in over your head on patience. We have to take time and have patience to help you learn the things you don't know, but there's no point in us doing that if you don't have the patience to learn Untangle.

If you prefer a product that is easy to understand and master, that makes perfect sense in your situation.

I'll second that, don't feel bad. And yes, you are in over your head! But that's where we all start, and you have to start somewhere!

But, this is Untangle. Not only will the product teach you what you need to know in time, but these forums as well as Untangle Support are there to back you up. Sure, it'll take time to sort it all out. But you will get it sorted out.
    Kyawa likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Thanks all. I wish you all knew me. I wish you all knew what I’m going through and also why I wanted to try Untangle in the first place. I wish you knew my struggles. My faith. My desires etc. if anyone is truly curious you may pm me and I’ll share.

I feel bad that I can ask how to do something for everything I want to do. I don’t think these things will be in the Wiki or talked about on the forum. They might in a way I guess. I feel bad because I don’t want anyone to be upset with me for asking for so much help and think I should go to the wiki or whatever. That’s good but we’ll I will read the wiki to try to learn.

So please pm me if interested to learn what I’m trying to do etc.

I really like Untangle but with what I’m going through personally I have so much confusion about everything.

Master Untangler

Ok. Here’s something.
    In web filter. Advanced.
    Process https traffic by sni the title is checked. Then there’s two options below. The first is checked. And I tried with both checked.
    Enforce safe search is enabled.
    Block QUIC UDP port 443 is checked.
    Pass if referrer matches any pass sites is checked.
    Category. Adult is checked.
    On my Note 10+ playboy says your connection is not private. Attackers may be trying to steal bla bla. Button on bottom are back to safety and advanced. Tap advanced. Then chrome says the server could not prove that it is playboy.com it’s security certificate is not trusted by your devices os. Then there’s a proceed to the site unsafe link. Tap it. Then the untangle block page loads.

Now. Why? It should load first. Not what actually happened.

Now freebleepstreams.org still loads. But images don’t. I have nudity checked to block so maybe that’s it. But this site should not load at all.

Image and video search are checked to block.
    On google do a search for a person. Tap images. It loads just fine. Shouldn’t it not load and be blocked?
    Nude images still load.
    Search terms. I’ve added several to block. They still load.

This is what I mean about patience and being in over my head. Ugh.
    Last edited by buggs1a; 12-27-2019 at 06:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast