Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tracking down a memory leak

Hello

I need your help in finding out the cause of a memory leak i have on my vmware Untangle server.

Currently running 14.2.2 and memory utilisation runs at 95%. What CLI commands are available to me to show what is using the memory?
    The virtual server has 4 x Xeon processors and 8Gb of memory.

I am about to start diagnosing the issue by disabling each application at a time. It would be good to start with a baseline and am after some CLI commands to monitor memory utilisation.

It is a simple network (diagram attached)
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you don't want Linux to use RAM, remove it from the box.

(Seriously, it's working as intended, relax)

What are you trying to fix?
    f1assistance likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by crizco View Post
    What CLI commands are available to me to show what is using the memory?
    You can confirm (or eliminate) sky-knight's suspicion pretty easily using the top command. Look near the top of top, about four lines down, for a line like
    MiB Mem : 1984.1 total, 157.9 free, 1088.7 used, 737.5 buff/cache
    Notice that the amount of memory allocated to buff/cache is high by percentage of total, helping to push free up against the wall.

The rest of top will tell you what system level items are using RAM, but it likely won't help you nail down what Untangle app is using the most memory.

You aren't by any chance leaving the desktop on the Untangle VM open?

Untangle Ninja

Google will also find many memory tools. Search for "linux memory free". are you having an actual problem?

Thanks for the replies, sounds I am trying to fix something that is not broken. In Windows world, high utilisation = issue.
    I have no performance hit, just PRTG was complaining about memory utilisation.

Thanks again.

No problem, it's a common thing! The Linux kernel will start offloading the entire filesystem into unused RAM if it can. That's where it goes. The previous posts talk about how to view how much of that is used, which is important because you do need to know when you're actually running light on RAM. It's just that most of the time, you aren't.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by crizco View Post
    Thanks for the replies, sounds I am trying to fix something that is not broken.
    I'm the only one here who feels this way, but I personally like a little more headroom than you have on my Untangle boxes. And Untangle doesn't always see kernel-driven high RAM usage. For comparison after a 30 day uptime:
    Screenshot from 2019-12-31 11-54-30.png
    In any case, avoiding swap activity is just as important on a Linux system as it is on a Windows system.

To that end, the Untangle team has provided a little guidance that might be helpful to you.

https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...formance_Guide

Untangler

Though i suspect you are not running a VM as the op. VM hosted systems tend to utilize much more of the available memory by nature. Where as single install stand alone system where UT is the sole consumer, use much less.

Quote Originally Posted by ifican View Post
    Though i suspect you are not running a VM...
    Correct.

My point is, we don't want excessive swap usage, and Linux memory management doesn't always result in ~95% memory usage on Untangle systems. If it does on VM-based installs, especially where there is adequate memory allocated, I don't see that as a plus for those installs.
    Last edited by Sam Graf; 12-31-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Untangler

I agree, but you may be confusing active memory utilization and swap space. His swap is space is the same as yours, without all the other particular variables of his install. Being that he is not experiencing any performance issues. It can safely be deduced that his system is working as designed and there isnt an issue at this point. Also leaning towards that as its only up 1 day. Had it been up months and upon reboot system memory is only 25% and creeps up to 95. Sure we may then have an issue. But in the above case from what we know, nothing really appears to be of concern.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast