Default Untangle Blocking SFTP Site - Help!

Within the last week Untangle stopped allowing us to access our clients ftp server via SFTP (port 22)

I have spoken with Untangle support whom logged into my machine and tried various bypass rules and even turned off the firewall apps to no avail. I have also tried using different machines and different FTP clients and behind Untangle they still will not work.

I have also confirmed if I plug these machines back into my gateway, they work perfectly as does my machine at home.

Untangle support does not believe that anything in untangle can be blocking SFTP as they bypassed the machines in question which obviously is still being filtered, and they refuse to try this themselves in their test environment. They simply do not want to believe that their is a bug in their system so I am SOL.

I am hoping some community experts can help here as Untangle refuses to support me on this.

BTW, I am using release : 14.2.2.2019

Thank You!

If the bypass is in place, Untangle isn't blocking it. If it's still being blocked that either means the bypass rule is incorrect, or something else is wrong. And no, there is no bug in bypass, that is an extremely well tested feature.

There is however one catch... are you using the Intrusion Prevention Module? If you are, turn that off and see if things work. There are cases with that module where bypass rules won't get processed in time.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I tried turning the intrusion prevention module off and it still does not work. Support even tried creating bypass rules for my machine as well as the remote server to no avail. I have to unplug any machine that needs to connect from untangle and directly to our gateway and it works instantly, so something is not working the way it is supposed to..

Bump.... I was hoping someone could help, it sucks that we pay Untangle for premium support and they refuse to help their customers... Any ideas are appreciated, I don't feel like going to another firewall vendor for this issue that just started to happen..

Thank you all...

Quote Originally Posted by SvenP View Post
    it sucks that we pay Untangle for premium support and they refuse to help their customers...
    What is your support ticket number? I can follow up. Is this outgoing SFTP or incoming via port forward rule?
    Last edited by jcoffin; 01-21-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    What is your support ticket number? I can follow up. Is this outgoing SFTP or incoming via port forward rule?
    Ticket # 163435

It is an outgoing connection. This worked until a few months ago, then it stopped connecting. Bypassing the machine in untangle does not work. As a workaround I have set up a wi-fi access point on our router that we connect the same machine to for our downloads, but it is slow for the size files we have to transfer. After support could not get it to work by adding their own bypass rules they just told me that was all they could do, I pleaded for them to try it on one of their test boxes and they refused.

Thanks for the ticket. Can you try again using sftp -vv (sftp verbose) and direct message me the output and which internal IP used it so I can match the sftp output with the UT events?

Thanks Sven for the details. The session started on the UT itself is shown as reset by remote peer which suggest either something is denying the connection at the SFTP server or someone in between. Is the WiFi external IP the same as the UT?

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Thanks Sven for the details. The session started on the UT itself is shown as reset by remote peer which suggest either something is denying the connection at the SFTP server or someone in between. Is the WiFi external IP the same as the UT?

I checked into your question this morning and our wi-fi, is using a different static external by one digit. I checked our ip with a few blacklists and it seems to be all clear. As you had mentioned in your PM to me that it does work through Untangle from your local site so it must be with our client whom has been denying that is their issue. Their server must have a auto block or something where our specific ip is tagged so I will tel them it must be on their side, or I will just switch our external static ip's around.

Thank you so much for trying and confirming to access through UT, that is all I really needed to confirm where the issue lies!

I am very appreciative of your help!

Glad to help!