Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Changing Nics on my untangle

I have been running untangle for many years and even got some of my friends to use it at their house. I virtualized my instance of untangle and it has been running great. Problem is I need to replace my nic card and I can't see to get the untangle to let go of the bonding to that nic. I tried deleting the internal and external nic but it won't let me. How can I move my nic settings or even how do I delete what I have to be able to add them back to the other nic.
    Seems like a simple task but I am missing something. Can anyone help with this?

Config -> Network

Look at the top of the interface list, click remap interfaces. Drag the cross icon for External or Internal or whatever it is you want to the new NIC, click done.

The old interface will still be there, and it will remain there even if removed from the system physically until you reinstall the platform.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I was there but it only showed the 2 interfaces. It didn't show or give the option to select anything other than what was already there.

Quote Originally Posted by mbohnenk View Post
    I was there but it only showed the 2 interfaces. It didn't show or give the option to select anything other than what was already there.
    If the NIC isn't there, it's not supported.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

The nic that it is currently on has 4 ports and only using 2 but it doesn't show the other two nic on that card.
    I must be missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by mbohnenk View Post
    The nic that it is currently on has 4 ports and only using 2 but it doesn't show the other two nic on that card.
    I must be missing something.
    That is usually a motherboard thing. But before you go do crazy, get into an SSH terminal or on the console's terminal and run this command:
    Code:
    lspci | grep Ethernet
    Yes it's case sensitive.

You should see an entry for every network device on the machine, in the case of that quad port, four separate entries. If you don't, the PCI bus doesn't see all four ports, which means you've got a bad card, bad motherboard, or some sort of compatibility issues between the two.

If you see all four in the list, my next suggestion is to pull a configuration backup, reinstall Untangle, then restore your configuration backup. During restore you'll have the option to remap everything. But honestly there's not much here to miss, Linux isn't Windows. It either sees the NICs, or it doesn't. And desktop boards often can't use quad port cards fully.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

You are running in a vm from your first post. What hypervisor? How do you present the nick to untangle?

Untangler

I am running vmware esxi 6.7
    And yes have been running this for a couple of years.
    I will try your SSH commands and see what comes up. The vm host shows all the nics. I think there is 9 of them all together. I was able to assign the nic to the vm as well.
    Again I will try your commands and see what it shows.
    Doing some research and it seem the make a back up reinstall untangle and restore is the way to make this change I am trying to do. Seems like there should be a better way but if thats what I have to do to make it work......

There's an interface sync issue with Debian we've fought off and on for years. The OS is supposed to report each NIC, and Untangle just uses it from there. But there are times when it just flat doesn't. In these cases, a reinstall is the quick answer.

In your case I'm not sure what is going on. I've never had HyperV, or vSphere behave like this. If you add an interface to the system, and then REBOOT, it shows up.

Did you reboot Untangle?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

So yes odd things are happening. I have rebooted that host many times and it comes up fine only 2 of the 4 port card comes back up. Tell you the truth I never thought much of it because everything just worked. So now I added another 2 port intel neic to the server (esxi) and it found it just fine. I created a separate vmswitch etc for the other nic and rebooted the untangle. Only after I did all that did the other 2 ports should up in untangle. NOT the two I just added. I added the 2 new nics as 2 more interfaces to the vm and it still didn't like it. Only now I tried to go back to the way everything was working and now nothing works. I cannot get a ip from my modem. After yelling profanities at the screen I had to stop for a while. So now I have no internet. Think I will reload untangle when I calm down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast