Thread: Separate IoT

Master Untangler

Default Separate IoT

Home user.

IoT "things" are climbing. Cameras, garage doors, dryer, oven, etc, etc.

I have heard of folks mentioning that they "just create a VLAN" and have their IoT devices run in the VLAN. The same maybe with Guest WiFi? This way the device count stays down with regards to the Home license ... and a side effect of protecting your important devices and "real" network.

I was wondering if folks could point me to tutorials (web pages, videos, etc) that could walk me through this process.

I am open to other recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
    Untangle 15.0.0 (Build: 15.1.0.20200424) (Kernel: 4.19.0-8-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Master Untangler

Maybe list your network devices like switches and WAP’s so we know what you have to work with. If you’re running unifi it’s really simple. Some switches do not play nice vlans.

The HomePro license doesn't have a device limit... so there's no need to do this to "keep your counts down".

But, if you want to segment your network use of VLANs is an option, but it also requires managed switches and access points to complete. Or, you just get another switch, hang it off another interface on Untangle, and hang a dedicated WAP off that.

That's all VLANs are by the way, a means to slice up a single physical network, into multiple smaller physical networks that you put stuff on. Technically the IP network that sits on top of each VLAN is separate..

But then we land squarely back to your original question, and I'm not aware of any online resources to throw you at. This isn't really the topic of a tutorial... it's a TCP/IP class, as well as a CCNA class. You can find information online of course, but it's going to be specific to whatever hardware you're using. If you're going to buy something to tinker, I'm going to suggest you get some Unifi switches, and WAPs and rebuild on those. They're the easiest things I've ever worked with in this class, integrate very seamlessly with Untangle easily, and they're cheap to boot.
    f1assistance and theoak like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

All I have is my DSL modem, Untangle appliance, and then a Netgear Orbi as a WiFi access point.

Well, I do have some PowerLine plugs floating around that I use for some of my cameras due to distance or broken antennas (I had a son that would do anything to sneak out of the house. I would catch him on my cameras from time to time, once he discovered how I knew, my cameras would "mysteriously" have their connections to the antenna on the inside of the camera broken. They were a cheaper option than new cameras and gave me more than enough bandwidth for the cameras.)

Digging around a bit I discovered a potential need for a managed switch. So it was not quite as "click - click - done" as I initially thought.

Yes, I could get/use another WAP and just hang my IoT stuff off of that if I really wanted to.

This was more of a "nice to have and cool thing to learn along the way" type project.

Thank you all for the insights.
    Last edited by theoak; 02-24-2020 at 10:29 AM.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Untangle 15.0.0 (Build: 15.1.0.20200424) (Kernel: 4.19.0-8-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller