Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Packet loss since v15 update

I have untangle running on i3 Qotom box since last summer for my home office. This thing is running much less than 10% cpu/ram and has been amazing until the about 2-3 weeks ago. Since then I have been experiencing a lot of packet loss and lag. Video conference calls keep dropping and gaming sessions are next to impossible with the lag and constant dropping.

The drops start happening around the time of the March 19th release. Currently I have by passed the untangle box and just using the ISP router... things are running really clean.

I've tried disabling all unnecessary apps, but that doesn't seem to help. I'm pretty close to attempting a complete rebuild. Wonder if anyone has seen similar issues or can suggest solutions.

Thanks,
    T

Just read the sticky... here is the drawing:

ISP <--> Untangle in Routing Mode doing DHCP <----> 48 Port Switch single subnet <----> Users
    Last edited by untanglemeplz; 04-06-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Here we go again...

Everyone loves to blame the update. But, to date, I've fixed probably 15 units all suffering from this condition. Each and every one of them was a defective cable, and the only reason the frame loss started with v15.0 was the reboot to select the new kernel.

I'm not saying your situation is any different, I am saying that since you rolled your own hardware, you get to troubleshoot it yourself. And if I were you, I'd start with some new cables.

I have no explanation for how a defective cable works until a reboot reveals it, but it is a thing... it happens.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Look at the Rx and Tx errors for each interface in Config -> Network -> Interfaces.

Is QoS enabled? Does it have *measured* values in the fields? Do not use ISP values as they are "max" not actual values.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

I am seeing similar issues after the update, drops in calls, browsing stops issues on the phones and browsing.

I never had this issues but has started after the updates, I haven’t updated another location which is working fine.

Not saying issue is with the update but just pointing out, I am still investigating local issues not related to untangle.

Edit:

I have 6GB ram available from 8GB and max it has reached ever is 30% but for some reason I have swap being used, could this be causing slowness in page loading at times?
    Last edited by kkw98; 04-06-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Fortunately its not another "here we go again moment," I've looked at the interface stats to make sure there are errors. I've checked the interfaces of my Cisco switch to make sure there weren't any port errors. I've read the excellent advice from these forums, including your cabling ones thus I've replaced all my cables with fresh out of the bag cables, I've set the QOS values to 1/2 of the speed that I've paid for. Now, using the exact same cables, I switch my ISP router from bridge to router mode, bypass the Untangle, everything works fine again.

I did roll with my own hardware but I changed nothing in the last 6 months, so after doing the above, I looked for events that coincide with when I started to see issues. The update is a possibility, COVID overloading the ISP is a possibility. I work to rule them out one by one. I've already hammered on the ISP and they came back clean, so now I look at my own hardware/firmware.

I will never assume the vendor releases are perfect, since the change logs themselves are full of "fixed issues", so that is what I have to investigate.

Yeah, but if you have software issues in Linux Kernel land you will see errors incrementing. If you don't see frame errors, but you're seeing packet loss... something else is going on.

You need to be ping plotting against Untangle's LAN, Untangle's WAN, and your first ISP gateway.

I'm willing to bet when the issue pops, you're going to be clean to the WAN, and not to that gateway. Which means ISP issues regardless of what they report.
    NexgenAppliances.com

With the ISP router and the untangle disconnected, I'm running 1 hr pings from a wired PC:
    - I'm clean to the LAN side 192.168.0.1
    - I'm clean to the WAN first hop 174.115.x.x
    - I'm clean to the ISP's DNS server

When the untangle is in place, same deal, lots of pings, usually 3600.
    - From the untangle CLI, I'm not clean to the first hop, I'm not clean to the DNS server
    - From a client behind the untangle, I'm clean to the LAN interface of the untangle
    - From any client behind the untangle, I'm not clean to the first ISP hop, I'm not clean to the ISP DNS.

something else is going on. its frustrating because the slarmy ISP tech kept reading off his script and telling me it was my stuff... and I don't want to admit he was right..

Well, if your CLI isn't clean to the first hop that's the issue to focus on. Is this cable?

If so, try pinging 192.168.100.1 instead of the ISP gateway... if THAT works, but the gateway doesn't... that's an ISP issue.
    NexgenAppliances.com

why is it an ISP issue if I remove the untangle and everything is good?

Quote Originally Posted by untanglemeplz View Post
    why is it an ISP issue if I remove the untangle and everything is good?
    Because you aren't testing, and removing Untangle changes nothing... ok well it changes everything but leaves you with no variables to control.

Untangle is a TON more intelligent. Did you enable QOS and have it configured poorly? That can cause packet loss...
    Did you have a bad cable that can't run at gigabit when the crap box router you're using can? That's a whole new set of issues...
    Do you have a cable modem that doesn't like your Untangle's WAN port? That's a thing too...

There are 1000 things here. None of them are isolated or confirmed on a simple rip and swap.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast